I am trying to think of a way to get more traffic, and therefore your comments to the blog. When I heard about the video that the Make Friends with Autism team had done, I decided to post the following memo sent to me by that team. Maybe there are more things going on that you want to share with your colleagues? If so, you can do it under the post, ask questions of the people and I will make sure they are answered. Innovation is running wild around Children's Specialized. There are so many incredible ideas being presented and programs going on, I thought this might be a good place to share.
There is an exciting program coming this fall that may interest the families and staff of Children's Specialized. Make Friends with Autism, a community focused autism education initiative, will be officially launched during National Disability Awareness Month this October. This program is made possible by a generous grant Children's received from Kohl's. The program focuses on improving community autism awareness and inclusion. There will be tools, guides and resources to enhance relationships between businesses, recreation providers, community members, and people with autism. There will be a video available for download featuring an original song, "That's What Friend's Do." The film provides an in-depth view of the challenges people with autism may face when participating in community outings. The film production company follows three families' struggles and triumphs while visiting a supermarket, playing with other children, and having a meal in a restaurant. The project will also include workshops and meetings with businesses across the state to discuss how to encourage inclusion .
Don't forget the Public Service Announcement contest! There are 3 categories for entrants: kids, adults, and Children's employees and there families . The goal is to create a brief video that promotes inclusion for people with autism . For more details contact Adrienne Robertiello at extension 5343. The winner will be announced in the fall.
1 comment:
It's been so personally moving for me working on this project. As a parent of a son with autism, I have experienced so many challenges participating in traditional/typical community events. The families that have been part of this video openly revealed their difficulties, successes, and the depth of their emotions... all so that businesses and community members can understand the many families struggling with lonliness and criticism. I know this film will have a great impact on communities as we are showing families in action, in their daily lives expressing their strengths, needs and desire to be accepted and included - as we all do! I can't wait to share this video with all of you. It has been a priviledge working on this project and I thank Kohl's and Children's for enabling this to happen. Adrienne
Post a Comment