A few weeks back, I got to watch our Brain Injury team in New Brunswick do wheelbarrow races. You know the eggs on spoons and all sorts of team building exercises. Everyone was really competing and having so much fun. Watching them reminded me of how important these activities are. I was at an organization where they made us do them a lot.
I also understand that our Brain Injury team did the Oreo cookie analysis. I included the key at the end so you can see the way you eat an Oreo cookie is very telling about your personality.
Honestly the one I dreaded most was the "write your obituary and share it with the group." My eyes would roll in the top of my head and I would have rather stuck a fork in my eye than participate.
What’s important to keep in mind is each time I did any of these activities; I learned something new about someone I had been working with for years. I took the opportunity to share something about myself that gave my coworkers insight into who I am and why I do things a certain way. These activities, when done correctly, give people the tools to work together well, especially as a team.
Are there any activities that you have participated in, at CSH or beyond, like the Oreo cookie quiz that you want to share? Maybe we could even incorporate one of these activities into our next round of employee meetings?
Let me know what you think.
Amy
PS - I am a "dunker"
Psychologists have discovered that the manner in which people eat Oreo cookies provides great insight into their personalities. Choose which method best describes your favorite method of eating Oreos:
1. The whole thing all at once.
2. One bite at a time
3. Slow and methodical nibbles examining the results of each bite afterwards.
4. In little feverous nibbles.
5. Dunked in some liquid (milk, coffee...).
6. Twisted apart, the inside, then the cookie.
7. Twisted apart, the inside, and toss the cookie.
8. Just the cookie, not the inside.
9. I just like to lick them, not eat them.
10. I don't have a favorite way because I don't like Oreos.
Your Personality:
1. The whole thing: This means you consume life with abandon, you are fun to be with, exciting, carefree with some hint of recklessness. You are totally irresponsible. No one should trust you with their children.
2. One bite at a time: You are lucky to be one of the 5.4 billion other people who eat their Oreos this very same way. Just like them, you lack imagination, but that's okay, not to worry, you're normal.
3. Slow and Methodical: You follow the rules. You're very tidy and orderly. You're very meticulous in every detail with every thing you do to the point of being anal retentive and irritating to others. Stay out of the fast lane if you're only going to go the speed limit.
4. Feverous Nibbles: Your boss likes you because you get your work done quickly. You always have a million things to do and never enough time to do them. Mental breakdowns and suicides run in your family. Valium and Ritalin would do you good.
5. Dunked: Every one likes you because you are always up beat. You like to sugar coat unpleasant experiences and rationalize bad situations into good ones. You are in total denial about the shambles you call a life. You have a propensity towards narcotic addiction.
6. Twisted apart, the inside, and then the cookie: You have a highly curious nature. You take pleasure in breaking things apart to find out how they work, though not always able to put them back together, so you destroy all the evidence of your activities. You deny your involvement when things go wrong. You are a compulsive liar and exhibit deviant, if not criminal, behavior.
7. Twisted apart, the inside, and then toss the cookie: You are good at business and take risk that pay off. You take what you want and throw the rest away. You are greedy, selfish, mean, and lack feelings for others. You should be ashamed of yourself. But that's ok, you don't care, you got yours.
8. Just the cookie, not the inside: You enjoy pain.
9. I just like to lick them, not eat them: Stay away from small furry animals and seek professional medical help - immediately.
10. I don't have a favorite way, I don't like Oreo cookies: You probably come from a rich family, and like to wear nice things, and go to up-scale restaurants. You are particular and fussy about the things you buy, own, and wear. Things have to be just right. You like to be pampered. You are a priss.
5 comments:
WOW good thing I don't like Oreos I wonder what that means?
True story, and I can’t believe I’m sharing this. I was at college and we were doing team building exercises/relay races where we had to place your head on the end of a bat and spin several times and run to the other end of the field to tag the next person. Well… just call me grace because after I did my spinning I took a b-line straight for the near by creek! I was completely soaked and laughing so hard I probably peed. But hey, I was wet anyway! It’s a memory I will never forget and having such a humbling experience with my team definitely brought us together. I’m definitely up for anything, just as long as it doesn’t involve a creek or a bat.
Haha. I just read Rebecca's comment. Very funny! The best team builder I ever did was to have one team member blindfolded, and have the other team members give verbal directions to find scattered pieces of a Mr. Potato Head around the room. There were several teams so that it was a competition. The kicker was that each team member could only give one direction at a time. That meant that all the other team members had to keep their mouth shut until it was there turn...this was very difficult for some people, including myself!
OK so I am really not prissy, but I don't like oreos, or I talked myself out of liking them so I won't eat them...something about being able to button my pants I guess....and would anyone really want to see me hopped up on sugar? As for the obit, anyone who knows me knows that I don't have my obit written, but I do have a funeral play list on my Ipod...it's gonna be some Fancy Nancy funeral!
Have you ever thought about tossing something at your boss? On Monday, Hamilton will be hosting a "Toss At Your Boss " event. The staff will be tossing wet sponges at the site supervisors and adminstrator. It should be fun team builder.
As far as the oreo thing is concerned, as a child my mother bought hydrox cookies.
Post a Comment