Friday, January 1, 2010

Reflections

So I have been spending a lot of time on vacation reflecting about the year that has passed and anticipating 2010. This isn't just the end of a year but the end of the decade.

I have personally reflected about the last ten years and realized there were some major changes: changed jobs 4 times - the last wonderful 6 years spent with you; experienced the loss of my 12 year marriage and am still standing; major health issues of loved ones, and the loss of my Grandmother. As I reflect on all this change I weigh all the blessings and honor the memories of the things and people lost.

Over the last 10 years, Children’s has grown from 4,000 children served, 500 employees, a 32 million budget to 17,000 children served and 1,000 employees and a 100 million budget. We built a brand new hospital, had the single most successful fundraising campaign topping 32 million dollars, with our first $5 million gift. We opened four new sites and renovated others. So much good and change has happened at a time when many hospitals have suffered closure and loss of services. We are positioned for continued success in the years to come.

I know this sounds sappy, but it's so true. One of the greatest things I cherish was the chance to work with each of you and the children we serve. I am constantly amazed at the lives we touch both our children and each other.

As I contemplate both my personal and professional hopes for 2010, I wonder if there are memories from this past decade, or any goals you have planned for 2010, that you would like to share?

7 comments:

Joe Assante said...

In ten years, I too have had some job changes, got happily RE-married, and lost some loved ones. I also lost some hair, gained some weight and actually scared myself, like I saw a ghost, when I caught my reflection walking past a store window.

I also have incorporated routines into my life that makes my life better. I give myself some time everyday. Usually, 30 minutes give or take. I go out of my way to find something nice to say to someone everyday. It sounds dumb but, it forces me to look at things more positively. Which makes me happier. And, I try to learn something new everyday. Acknowledging you don't everything, keeps you humble, and makes you appreciate those around you.

Goals for the next 10 years?

Get another book published.
Meet Q. Tarentino.
Buy property in Vegas.
Lose some weight.

Build a better relationship with my kids...

Anyway, Happy New Year to all.

The greatest thing about life is...it's never too late to start having one.

Vieno said...

Ten YEARS? How did that happen- I remember the Y2K scare, but don't remember my computer blowing up ;^)
I've changed jobs; as a Mom had the heartache of my kids going through some very rough patches, gone through a couple myself, witnessed my beautiful in-laws who have been my sole parents for 25 years become ill and lose their independence, had the shock of sudden loss of friends.
And I've made some wonderful new friends, have laughed ALOT (at myself frequently) and have for the second year in a row written down my "intentions for the coming year" and look at them everyday- Thanks to Trish West-Low.
Ten year Goals?
Work harder on my positive self and really cultivate the gifts I've been given.
Buy a houseboat (ok,now it's your turn to laugh)
Lose some weight and learn how to skate on one foot backwards.
Be able to whistle like Laurel Leithauser when she wants your attention.(I am a miserable flop)
and make the time to enjoy all of it! Happy New Year!

Trish West-Low said...

Wow, 10 years...I too changed jobs, moved, lost my best friend, gained her sassy soul sister, went through countless transformations on yoga mats across the country, flicked LOTS of energy, and saged many houses. I ran two and a half marathons wiith friends, and two and a half more on my own. And what have I learned? You never know how hard someone's life has been so try not to judge to harshly, and you never know who might jump in your car to come see your puppy, so make sure your house is clean! Here's to a new kinder and more compassionate decade....lets all uplift each other's lives.

Taaliba Warden said...

Hello All,

Reflection of the last ten years, wow there has been major life changes for me. I have had two children (a ten year old and a 1 year old). I have completed my bachelor’s degree in Psychology and now I am on the road to completing my Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling within the next 6 months or so. I have also been chosen to be apart of Chi Sigma Iota a professional honors society which is a reflection of the hard work I have invested in establishing my career. With the help of my awesome supervisor, Dara Duryea, I hope to soon become that scholar practitioner seeking positive social change. Dara is feeling me with all of her professionalism and knowledge that she has acquired over the years. On a sadder note just as Amy I lost my grandmother, and a host of other relatives. However, my “nana” was my heart and loosing her was not so much hard for me, but hard for me son who did not understand death. So it was heart breaking for me to experience his outburst of emotions that he still carries till this day. Overall life has been good I have been with Children’s now for almost six years and hopefully I will be able to continue use my new skills to help the many children that the hospital serves.


Thank you Amy for doing all you possibly can to help the children whose lives fall into your hands through Children's Specialized Hospital.

Anonymous said...

As I ponder on the many years that I have been on this earth I reflect on the many achievements that have crossed my path, and some of those achievements would be the hard work to establish equality fought for by the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I wonder though, why Children's Specialized Hospital does not observe the day to remember such a great man who fought for such great causes….

Amy B. Mansue said...

To the person who asked about our holiday policy: Please understand that this has nothing to do with the great world of Dr. King. He has set the bar for all of us to work towards in reference to accepting all people, seeing their gifts instead of their weaknesses.

We have seven paid holidays - New Year's Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.

In order to add another paid holiday, we would have to take one away from the seven listed above or take away a TOP day from everyone.

A holiday requires us to pay everyone for the day. You know that our budget constraints have forced us to make painful decisions.

I am glad to entertain this conversation with our leadership if you all want us to. What we have said is our full time employees have a generous TOP policy, which they can use as they desire, including for the holidays they want to honor.

Please understand that it is no way a slight.

Anonymous said...

I understand your stance on the MLK day concern; however we all can not use TOP time at once. Most people take off because the children are off, which leaves the people who would like to take the day to observe the holiday, out of luck.

I do not wish to speak for the entire company, It was just a concern that I have always wondered about, thanks for addressing it.