I am going to ask for your thoughts again on an issue that I am struggling with. For the past six years, I have been doing employee meetings twice a year. It turns out to be about 32 meetings trying to get to all sites, different shifts and each program. It takes about eight weeks trying to make sure that everyone gets the same information about the same time. If you happen to be on vacation or not working that day or just get busy at work, you may not get there. At the bigger meetings, very few questions are asked because people feel intimidated to ask tough questions in front of 100 people. We do solicit questions before the meetings, but honestly I don’t get many questions that way. At the end of all the meetings, the presentation is posted on the intranet, but people have told me it is not the same.
So, here’s where I need your help - Is there a different way to do these meetings that still gets information out? I love the meetings. It is a chance for me to get face time with each of you but if I am absolutely honest, I may get more out of these than you do.
Right now, I need to own up to the responsibility to do exactly what we have been doing throughout the organization - look at everything we are doing and ask - "does this project/process add value, or do we do it because we have always done it?"
Now I am not looking for you to make me feel better about this and justify keep doing something I like. The truth is, are they really effective in the current form?
Here are some options to consider that I know other companies, who have multiple sites, including in other countries have used.
• A video is posted on the intranet for everyone to look at on their own time. Questions following that video are asked on the CEO blog and answered for all to see, not just the people at your meeting.
• Have one meeting, announced ahead of time that is videoconferenced and telephonically conferenced for all to participate, if they choose to come in at that time. It would be like our clinical grand rounds. This would still allow people to ask questions during that meeting, so it would be more interactive. Also it could be taped and posted for those who didn’t attend.
• Abandon the twice a year meetings schedule and schedule for me to be at each site throughout the year. Don’t have a formal presentation at the meeting but do a more meet and greet over coffee and people can bring up any issues. The written presentation of an update on our goals can still be posted on the intranet but not presented.
• Have Site Directors and Managers present the information with the thought that there would be more interaction with people you re more comfortable with and create a different "ask the President" vehicle.
Your thoughts would be helpful.
Amy
9 comments:
So, without sounding too corny, I love the meetings as well! You are such a wonderful speaker and I know that you "walk the walk" and don't just "talk the talk" and I always feel inspired when I hear your message. Am I always able to get to a meeting? Not necessarily, but when I do I am always glad that I did. I am not sure how others feel but I would hate for them to go!
I also love the meetings and think that they are one of the things that makes us different from a lot of other big organizations - that everyone gets a chance to voice opinions and ask questions. I would hate to see them go by the wayside! I personally would not get as much out of a video conference or video posted on the intranet.
Wow. This is a real dilemma. I, like MANY of us, look forward to your meetings. I apologize for being selfish. But, I have commented to others and even Nancy K. that "sheesh, Amy is having over 20 meetings to make sure she meets with everyone".
I actually go the other way. I think you should take your biggest 150 New Providence and your biggest New Brunswick Meetings and record them for people who didn't get to see you to watch. You could stream it through your blog.
Physically, I am sure it's demanding. You cover every location and every shift so you don't put anyone out asking them to come on their time off. When most of us are home sleeping on the weekend, you are coming in to have you umpteenth meeting.
In an age, where many people keep their employees in the dark. We have been a little spoiled by your willingness to extend yourself. So, whatever you decide. Thanks.
Overall, staff stated they liked the face to face contact of the current meetings. They think that the information shared is good. Especially because they feel that you tailor the info a little to the audience you are speaking to.
They also noted that since the move to NB, senior leadership is not as visible, so having everyone together is nice.
They do not think that the informal greet over coffee wouldn't work because they said that if someone was intimidated to speak in a large crowd they would be more intimidated to approach you one to one.
They do not think that people will watch anything pre-recorded.
Because they recognize that it is very time consuming for you to do all of these meetings, one suggestion was to have the current format 1x a year (instead of 2x), but then try to do one of the other things you suggested at another time.
This is a tough one! Technology, is a great tool to be used as it allows people to manage time more efficiently in a fast pace environment. However, there is a curse to all this, we loose the most valuable thing that make us feel people, it is the human touch behind. I think here, it really depends on what you really want to do, do you want to be just a figment in a PC that everyone can access if they feel like? or do you really want to continue the “human” reality that can never be replaced by Technology? Technology is great and maybe there is not a perfect answer to all but, I get worried as we continue to loose that human touch.
I too value the meetings and so appreciate the time you take to make all of us feel more connected to senior leadership. I think it is a huge boost for staff morale to know you care to take the time to meet face to face and hear people's concerns. The enthusiasm you bring to those meetings is always invigorating! But realistically, it is time consuming for you so I would agree with the notion of a compromise, one face to face and then a second electronically.
I really believe the meetings should stay but hold them throughout the year instead of making yourself go crazy. Staff need to see you. In addition, I think a videoposting on the intranet would be beneficial. Directors and managers can encourage per diem staff to view from home and be more apart of CSH.
I have spoken to people, and they all agree on the following... People feel the meetings are a very effective way for senior leadership to communicate with us. People feel empowered and important with your presence at these meetings when you share information. As far as questions go...it would be even better if people feel they can ask the questions you want, but I've been told, people are prepped prior by people above them on what topics we should stay clear of. I second the, "you not only talk the talk, you walk the walk!" My vote is for the meetings to continue on a reduced schedule if necessary.
keep the face-to-face meetings please but perhaps the smaller informal meetings might work better. this way people might feel more connected in a smaller environment...
Post a Comment