Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Challenge

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Not just because so much care goes in to the preparation and the gathering of family but because it is the one holiday that all Americans celebrate. It is a day that our forefathers created to make us purposefully stop and think about all the things that we have to be thankful for and especially for what people gave up to start this most amazing country.

I have been following the posts on Facebook of my friends who have taken a pledge of giving thanks for something each day. Some of them are serious, some of them are funny, some are memories of loved ones lost and some are thankful for the bounty they have been given. So, I thought it would be fun to start a thankful list on the blog. It could be big or small but I would ask that you try and relate it to something or someone you are thankful for at Children's Specialized.

For me, I have so much to be thankful for. Children's Specialized allowed me to jump onto this amazing wave that you had going. Seven years ago when I got here, you were a couple years into a strategic plan that envisioned growing outpatient services and building a new hospital at the same time implementing values that would help us through good times and bad. As I look back seven years later, we have done much of what was in that plan. We have had great people join our ranks; over 300 new people have come to CSH in the last seven years. We have said goodbye to some friends and welcomed some back. The days are filled with both a lot of hope for the future and a lot of work to be done. I am thankful that I was selected to come into the CSH family and allowed me to be part of the amazing work that we do.

And you?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful to have a job and more importantly one that I love during this very difficult economic time.

Rebecca Mazzarella said...

I'm thankful that whenever I ask for help from other departments, almost always, people are willing to chip in – with a smile. Even if it's "not their job" they always help, even on short notice. This is NOT the case in most companies/hospitals.

Missy McCulley said...

I'm thankful for the perspective that working here gives me; you can't know what will happen tomorrow, and that makes caring about people in the present that much more important.

Linda Stewart said...

Since I am starting my 27th year here at Children's Specialized and I have seen many good changes and some not so good. For my personal self I am truly grateful to work with such wonderful people who over the years have supported me during my sad times and who have encouraged me during my challenges (finding a wonderful husband). So many people here have touched my heart and have helped me become a better person then I was 26 years ago. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Jill Rebuth said...

I am thankful to be a memeber of such an amazing organization. People on the "outside" have no idea how many families struggle with things most take for granted on a daily basis. I am thankful that I get to be a part of making things just a little bit easier for them or making them feel not so alone even if it is just one person per day. If I make them smile I am happy.

Jessica Krill said...

I am thankful of the progress my children have made in their short little lives. I am also thankful that I can wake up every morning and LOVE what I do!!

Lori Velasco said...

Thanksgiving for me has always been a time to give thanks. It has taken on new meaning over the last few years because Novemeber 30th marks the third anniversary of our car accident and my family's journey. I can't even imagine where we would be without Children's. There are no words to describe how thankful I am for all of you and I count you all in my blessings. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Lori Velasco said...

Thanksgiving for me has always been a time to give thanks. It has taken on new meaning over the last few years because Novemeber 30th marks the third anniversary of our car accident and my family's journey. I can't even imagine where we would be without Children's. There are no words to describe how thankful I am for all of you and I count you all in my blessings. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that we took the time to celebrate national care giver's month with a free ice cream social in Mountainside! It's the little things that count! Thanks Rayna for organizing!

Trish West-Low said...

Today I am thankful for Wes Apgar becuase he fixed my lap top over the phone. EVERY day, I am thankful for the opportunity to do a job I love in a place I love with people I love and consider family.

Joe Assante said...

I am thankful for my Wife. I kiss her goodbye every morning and no matter how long a night she has had due to all of her physical challenges, her arm still shoots straight into the air and she gives me a hug to send me on my way. I am thankful for everyday I get to be with her.

Sheila Pisano said...

I am so thankful for Ethel Brady who has worked for me on Fridays and covered my days off for so many years I have lost track. I don't know what I would do without her. She is a blessing in my life. I can't thank her enough !

I am also thankful to everyone else I get to work with every day. I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving !

Sue Rodriguez said...

I am thankful for Gloria Hernandez. She is always there to help and support us in our daily adventurous in the world of early intervention. Gloria always has a kind word, a useful tip, and she is there for support whenever we need it.

Happy Thanksgiving

Donna Provenzano said...

I am very thankful for the staff that I work with. They are an amazing team!! They inspire and motivate me and always help me stay focused on what is important--our patients and families. I wish them a wonderful holiday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks God for give me the opportunity to work in this hospital with such a nice people and be involve with families and patients that came for our care and help. I never dream to work in a place like this. Although I didn't grow up celebrating this holliday. Happy thaksgiving for every body.

Jill Harris said...

I am thankful to work at such an amazing place where you can learn something new everyday.

Trish West Low said...

Today I am grateful to all of my colleagues at 94 stevens who baked and bought cookies for the fiorst phase of our holiday bake sale. Your compassion, teamwork and creativity continue to inspire me to raise the bar!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Jennifer Manzo said...

I am thankful to all of my co-workers daily who give me support and prayers for my son during this difficult time. Their compassion is overwhelming and I very thankful for them.