Recently one of your colleagues shared with me that after reading a weekly wrap up, that she wanted to let me know the CSH Autism program “Friends Like You, Friends Like Me” has reached her neighborhood.
Her daughter came home from school not too long ago with a book all about autism and how children should treat each other. She was so excited about this for two reasons: first she was clearly excited because as she said to her teacher and class "My mom is a nurse at Children's Specialized Hospital and she helps kids there!"
I loved that! Secondly, their family has a relative with a mild form of autism and her daughter was very happy that other kids would be taught how to properly interact with children with autism without as she put it "making them feel like they are different.” Her daughter read through the book given to her and questioned her mom on what she was told and was really happy with what her class was taught.
So it made me think - do you all have a way CSH may have touched your personal life when you least expected it and it made you proud to work with your colleagues?
3 comments:
Everyday I come in contact with fellow Employees that make me proud to work for CSH. From my first contact with Security, when I get my keys who are usually interacting with the kids on their way to school. To Dietary and Pharmacy who always greet me with a smile. To Receiving, who never hesitates to help me load my Van no matter the weather or the Temperature. Then off to all the sites I travel to, everyone of them kind people that I look forward to seeing every week. All of them of the same page, with the same message, " the very best care for the kids". Most of all, I am proud every time I walk out of an "Amy" meeting. No matter what location I have seen her speak at, her heart is open for every word and her door is open for any comment. And when you work for person who leads by example, that would make anyone proud.
Since I live so close to Mountainside I hear things all the time in the community about children who are or have been treated here. I have a neighbor who was inpatient, I have friends who bring their children here. I could go on and on, but the biggest thing for me was when my girls were in the NICU. As you know many preemies are brought here for further care after the NICU and when other families and even the doctors and nurses found out that I worked here the response from them was always amazing.
From comments about the facility, to the doctors, therapists and social workers, everyone had wonderful things to say. I had a family that was going through what we were going through come up to me saying ,”I have been told my child will need to go to Children's after we are discharged, can you tell me about it?” I was proud to say I worked here and to be able to offer the knowledge of the great things that are done here. I remember her telling me she felt so much better and just knowing how much I loved my job meant it was a good place to be. My own girls went through EIP and have been here to see doctors and for therapy. To have so many wonderful services and people under one roof is a blessing to anyone who has to go through these things and to be a part of it on daily basis is an even bigger one.
It's the little things that count... I was extremely proud to work here at CSH when I saw one of our enviornmental staff members talking with a family and gave them a hug for support. Caring for the family extends through all of our departments. That made my day.
Post a Comment