Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cultural Change

Last week I had a chance to spend a week with people from all different countries, and industries, for a course on managing change. While the framework of the basics was the same as we all know – I did learn you have to have a specific vision about where you want to take your company and do a thorough implementation plan and then check the execution. Implementing a change in the operations of the organization and implementing cultural change is tremendously different. I am preparing to share my conference experience in a clinical rounds presentation soon but this experience made me think about each of you and how you have managed a "cultural" change in your life.

In our personal lives, “cultural change” would be something that is a permanent immersion or approach to a different way of life. For example, a “culture change” could include becoming a vegetarian, or adopting a new healthy lifestyle or maybe moving to a new part of the country. Of course having children and getting married mark changes as well.

If I had to name just one cultural change in my personal life, I would say it was adjusting to being divorced. It wasn’t just not being married anymore, it was really learning how to be comfortable in my own "skin." That means being alone and not just filling time, but really learn to be thankful for the time I had alone and finding ways to embrace the change. Like most things in our lives, I was resistant at first and gradually began accepting this new way to live - not just a way of life - but a way to live. So as always, I am interested in what cultural change you have made in your life and how you adopted it.

You can be anonymous! I truly believe sharing some of your personal experiences or best practices are helpful for your friends and colleagues and they may certainly apply at work too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing I've learned in changes in my life, whether it's moving, starting a new job, re-navigating a long standing relationship, or learning to let others change, is that attitude is everything.

It's been freeing and helpful to be taught and reminded that I can take responsibility for my attitude. When I've had the opportunity to choose to make my attitude positive, and to know that no matter what goes on around me, I can choose my response, it's been empowering and centering.

Anonymous said...

I would say mine would be divorce too. I think one of my biggest problems is trying to figure out how to "be comfortable in my own skin." So if you have any tips Amy please share!

Anonymous said...

I would have to say that my biggest culteral change would be divorce too. I am still trying to figure out how to "be comfortable in my own skin." I try reading self improvement books but everyday I fight the "alone" battle for one reason or another. The craziest part is that I dont want to get married again but if you have any tips Amy, please share!

Anonymous said...

I experienced a cultural change "shock" when I moved away from all of my family and the hustle and bustle of New York to NJ.
My husband worked in NJ (night-shift) and since our family was outgrowing the small apartment in NY, it was time to move to NJ. I never learned how to drive in NY because there was no need for it; all the stores were around the corner. My husband and I realized that we had to find a home in NJ that was conveniently located near the schools and stores. Well, we found the ideal home, but after my hubby left for work at 2:00PM I felt abandoned and scared in an unfamiliar location without a car or family. I was used to walking to everything I needed. After a few frustating weeks without being able to function, I called an auto driving school and told them that I desperately needed to learn how to drive. I learned and got my license in a month's time. I then got adjusted and began to think that NJ wasn't all bad as I thought it was. We would never go back to live in NYC.

Anonymous said...

At this point in my life, my focus is shifting away from caregiver and towards care-taker. I am taking better care of myself, that is! I have been letting go of the habit of putting my own needs last. As a full time nurse,divorced mother of 2 , homeowner, pet lover ,etc. etc. I can get stretched pretty thin , whereby my blessings start to feel like burdons instead. I have cared for my ailing parents, made peace with my ex,raised 2 decent human beings,and pulled my weight at work. The house has not fallen apart and the aspca has not removed my pets while I was at the gym rather than tending to everyone and everything else .I now afford myself the luxury of "me time", be that Rest/relaxation/recreation/better diet and exercise/persuing interests and hobbies/ nurturing friendships and spirituality/and in doing so, allowing others to care for themselves .This culture change may sound selfish, but it has somehow made me more relaxed, my life more peaceful, and as a result , I am far less controlling and resentful of others. My family is slowly becomming self sufficient, and possibly even appreciating me more!

Anonymous said...

Divorce is the biggest adjustment. It took me a year after my ex left to figure out that my kids and I could have meals together! I used to give them their meals and then eat my meal alone later on. It takes time, but eventually you start to remember that you are a whole person, even after a divorce. The world will slowly become less disjointed and you will fall into a new normal.

Anonymous said...

I have made a cultural change in my own life in the way that I eat. I have decided to eat healthier foods, not because I feel like I need too lose weight, or get ready to feel comfortable in a bathing suit - that creates too much pressure on myself and I can become very self defeating because I'll never be a perfect super model! I have chosen to do it because I feel better when I do. My stomach doesn't hurt, or get bloated, etc, when I eat the right foods, and if you prepare them or order them the correct way -- they CAN be delicious! I feel like other people have a harder time dealing with this - "Oh, you're eating rabbit food..." or "You're on a diet?" or "What IS that? You're going to eat THAT?" And I often get tired of explaining myself and just respond - Yes, it's disgusting, you wouldn't like it. I have found though, that my clothes do fit better - so maybe I will look good in that bathing suit after all!!

Pat O'Hanlon said...

Adjusting to being older has been huge for me. I was going along fine until I became 48 years old. All of a sudden I became very aware of changes in my body and my mind. First it was a very negative experience. I'd pass a mirror and wouldn't recognize myself. I'd bend down at the supermarket to get something off the bottom shelf and I couldn't get up without holding on. I had to write everything down because my memory that was once very sharp could no longer be trusted. I longed for everything to just go back to the way it was and I dreaded what else might come my way. Then little by little, as I got into my fifties, I liked being older. I didn't stress over the silly things the way I use to - I had perspective in my life. I had a new found confidence and a desire to try things I had never tried before. I found a new and different kind of zest in my life and I like it. I've come to understand that change is the beginning of growth and once growth takes hold it's wonderful at any age.

Michele Tomaino said...

My cultural change happened when my three children were diagnosed with a rare disease. I was working here as a nurse practitioner at the time. My career path changed when I learned they needed a stem cell transplant to survive. My nursing instincts kicked in immediately, but it wasn't long before I just wanted to be "mom" instead of "nurse." My husband stepped up and learned more about medicine and nursing than he could have ever imagined. I often joke that he should be given an honorary nursing degree! I haven't practiced nursing in 8 years (unless you count the private duty I give to my son everyday!) and I do miss it. But I quickly learned that we aren't always in control of our life, and sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. I would love to get back to nursing some day. But for now, my focus has to be my children. Change isn’t necessarily bad; just different. In many ways, I think it has made me a stronger person.