So I know you all have cringed, more than once, when I have done an employee meeting and may have let a curse word slip in because of my passion about whatever the topic was. Believe it or not, even with my many slips (we’re all human), I am actually a devoutly religious person and work hard to listen to the sermons each week and try and be a better person.
At the start of Advent, Mother Karin, my priest in the parish I have belonged to for 44 years, gave a sermon on doing random acts of kindness. Not the typical nice things that you would always do: open a door, write a thank you note, but something that just comes upon you, presents itself when you least expect it. I have worked hard to do one random act of kindness every day since that Sunday and I must tell you that I am struck by two things. One how surprised people are when you do that unexpected thing and secondly how good it makes me feel to do it. For no other reason than it brought joy to someone else. Now these are not huge things - I am not talking about changing the world, but just a little something. I took chicken soup to a sick friend. I sent a get well card to my friend's Mom. I bought a strangers dinner when I heard them say had just got engaged.
So, it’s no surprise that when I found out that next week is national Random Acts of Kindness Week (Feb. 10-16.) I thought this would be a prefect opportunity to ask you to share things you have done or seen your colleagues do for others. One reason is because this weather is wearing me out and we could all use a little pick me up. The second is it really is wonderful to hear all the amazing things that happen here. Share your stories, photos, videos and ideas on our blog (http://childrens-specialized.blogspot.com) or with me personally and I will share with everyone, if you want.
Random Acts of Kindness do not have to be grand gestures. Here are a few ideas to get you mind thinking…
- Compliment the first 10 people you talk to
- Buy the person behind you at the coffee line their morning coffee
- Leave encouraging sticky notes around your office
- Tell someone how glad you are they work with you
- Bake cookies & share with your coworkers
- Give directions to someone who is lost
- Be patient and support someone who is having difficulty learning
- Laugh out loud, and laugh often, share your smile generously
6 comments:
One of my co-workers (and I still don't know who) cleaned all of the snow/slush off my car on Monday when they left so when I closed the building my car was ready to go. This random act made my drive home a bit more pleasant! Will definitely try to pay it forward.
The staff in New Brunswick are always supporting each other...like Christy who keeps a blanket and extra sweater at her desk for coworkers when they are cold, and Missy who always manages to find hilarious ways to make coworkers smile through sticky notes and emails.
It is easy to receive these gestures graciously, but I will certainly be paying it forward the best I can.
Dana Dudley received a note from an inpatient family who had a really rough road accepting all that has changed for them. This note was such a gift to give to the team.
This was their message to their inpatient team -
"In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life, 'It goes on'. You at Children's Specialized have hoped us on going on day by day. Your devotion and warmth has helped us on our emotional journey while your expertise and professionalism has helped him to grow each day. Thank you"
Oh all of the little things really do make a difference! My neighbor was struggling and calling all the stores to locate much needed salt for all of the lovely ice. I picked up a bag and left on his porch. Wow, It made me feel really good to do that...I will continue
The morning after the last ice storm I saw my very elderly neighbor struggling to get her wheeled garbage can down her driveway, while holding her walker! So, I rushed to put on my shoes (on the wrong feet), with wet hair, I ran out to help her. If she had fallen, after I saw her struggling I would have felt awful! So glad I helped and looking forward to doing it more often! Thanks Amy for reminding us all what it feels like to help others.
Just because I kept "moving up" a family's appointment whenever I got a cancellation, I received a beautiful floral arrangement from them! It was such a nice surprise even though I was just doing my job!
Post a Comment