We have tallied the results of the employee engagement
pulse survey, which asked you to rate the following: “I am involved in
decisions that affect my work.” Almost 500 (more than 1/3) of you responded and
I thank you for that! Just as a reminder, one of our 6 corporate goals for this
year is to improve the score at each site in response to this question. A
positive movement in this score has a direct correlation to how you feel about
us as your employer.
As I say during each orientation, we know there will be
times when you spend just as much time here as you do at home and we want to
create an environment that allows you to be fully engaged in your work for our
patients and families.
Here are some key findings from the recent employee
engagement survey:
- Bayonne, Clifton, Lakehurst Road, and Egg Harbor all increased their score AND happen to be our smallest locations
- New Brunswick remained EXACTLY the same
- Every other location went down
These findings sparked a series of questions for Senior
Leaders.
- Ok, what are we missing?
- What are the decisions people want to be involved in or feel involved in that they are not?
- Is it communication?
- Is it process?
- Is it the people?
It would be tremendously helpful if you would be willing to
share your ideas on things that you think would help you to feel more
involved in the decisions that impact your work.
Here’s my promise – share your ideas, comments, and
suggestions here and we will follow up and let you know what we can and cannot
do about it.
Deal?

13 comments:
Camaraderie is very important in an organization. Management should eliminate toxic and dysfunctional team behaviors, and create ways for co-workers to work better collectively.
Often we communicate through e-mail . When a director, manager , supervisor or colleague does not respond at all ,either verbally or via e-mail, I'm left wondering if my question/ concern / comment is disregarded , or taken into consideration at all. Without any feedback, I feel "unheard" and ineffective in impacting my work. On the other hand, when given feedback, I feel I have contributed in the decision making process that affects my work, even if the feedback is not in alliance with my standpoint. It's good to know that my viewpoint has been acknowledged.
I think part of the issue is that with all the focus on the statement “I am involved in decisions that affect my work,” instances when staff are not involved feel highlighted, where they might not have in the past. Previously, if there was a change, I was of the mindset that we should see changes as opportunities, not obstacles. I still am of that mindset, but now, at times, when there is a change, I have to mentally back away from a silent but sarcastic “I am involved in decisions that affect my work” refrain in my head. I’ve heard that same, quietly spoken mantra in the elevators, in the halls from others. That’s not the way I like to react to things and I can’t imagine that would be happening if there wasn’t so much emphasis on this query. Do I question things? Sure. Do I find a way to embrace them? Yes because it’s what’s right for the kids (and if I really believe it’s not, I speak up and either get more info or help make changes to make it better.)
I understand it’s a satisfaction/engagement area that the hospital wishes to improve upon but it might be worth looking at how we communicate what & why some things have staff involvement, and some don’t, simply because this discussion is forefront in the minds of so many. I can rationalize why I am or am not involved in decisions but the focus on this topic, to me, seems to pinpoint lost opportunities as opposed to highlighting how much of a voice staff really do have. Additionally, if there is an area we were previously given input into and now, for whatever reason, did not have a chance to voice ourselves, it feels contrary to the drive to address how involved we feel. I don’t need to be involved in everything and should trust those making the decisions.
It’s not about my involvement, it’s about what’s best for the kids. I think that’s my take away message here – it’s not about me and I don’t want to be made to feel like it is about me, because it’s not.
Communication is a big issue, especially since we are so big.
Directors, managers, and supervisors receive group e-mails and if that e-mail contains information that needs to be shared with staff who need to know - that isn't always happening. This definitely impacts our job when we are missing important information that should have been shared with us. I also agree with
the person who said "when a director, manager , supervisor or colleague does not respond at all ,either verbally or via e-mail, I'm left wondering if my question/ concern / comment is disregarded , or taken into consideration at all". This is very frustrating. If I send an e-mail and also follow-up with a phone call and get no response, what does that say about me and what I am asking ? It says I don't matter. We are all busy and no one seems held accountable for not answering e-mails/phones in a timely manner.
Amy I commend you on your never ending quest to improve CSH!
So you ask the question - "how we can increase employee engagement'. At this point in time I feel like I dont even understand the questions anymore - what exactly are you trying to engage them in? Daily patient care, work environment, decision processes, attitude adjustments? You also asked "am I involved in decisions that effect my work?" Are you asking departmentally, organizationally, personally? These questions seem sooo broad and undefined that they elicit different responses from each individual, with no clear direction.
For me this is how our work environment has become, unclear and somewhat undefined.
Procedures/policies are changed without any explanation as to the why or how, new positions are created to 'enhance' CSH, but no one knows who they are or what role they play in our daily work. Are they to be included in daily communication, and if so what type? Can I talk to other departments to try and resolve issues together, or will I be spoken to for not talking to the right person? Chain of command has become so cumbersome your not really sure who to talk with (I know, talk with your supervisor - but who do you go to when that may not be effective?). And what do you do when no one responds to conversations or emails that highlight issues that may effect patient care or organizational procedures?
I could go on, but I think you get the point. The questions abound in the employess that are struggling to get thru the day. I miss the days of employee collaboration and interpersonal communication that evoked problem solving and team building. A place where you felt free to express your thoughts, insights and suggestions.
Healthcare workers have enough stress to contend with from patients and families, the 'team' that they are on should be supportive, have a clear game plan, and effectively communicate on a regular basis.
I agree 100 % “These questions seem so broad and undefined that they elicit different responses from each individual, with no clear direction. Procedures/policies are changed without any explanation as to the why or how, new positions are created to 'enhance' CSH, but no one knows who they are or what role they play in our daily work.” I personally feel that there are “too many chiefs, not enough Indians”
“Too many cooks spoil the broth”.
Employee engagement is the outcome of a healthy workplace.
• Market the Survey
• Make it Fun
• Keep it Simple
• Explain the Benefit
To many meetings, to many e-mails
It is very important to share your thought in a constructive manner, AND the art of "listening" without interrupting is of equal value.
Amy,
I think you're worrying too much about this. Children's has grown to a much larger size and it's no longer realistic for all staff to "be involved in decisions that their work." We cannot complain that things are no longer "as they used to be" because Children's is no longer the size it used to be. If we want to continue to grow in size to be able to care for as many children as possible (which most everyone wants), then everyone needs to realize that there will be decisions made that they're not involved with. As long as the decisions are clearly communicated along with reasons why they were made, staff should trust that it's the best decision and support it! I find the whining for olden days to be very frustrating and not productive.
Personally i feel that year after year we are asked to complete the exact same survey and respond to the exact same questions. After a while I feel like no one hears the responses or they wouldn't continue to ask the same questions. just a thought!
It's true. I also didn't really know how to answer the question and I've since come to find out that I completely misinterpreted it. Clinically, I am absolutely not involved in decisions that affect my work. In addition, clinical supervisors are so busy establishing and monitoring policies and procedures that I rarely get feedback on my actual clinical practice. Organizationally, I don't necessarily feel that I am equipped to make those decisions and I trust the people that have the time and appropriate training to do so. Otherwise, I feel that I am treated professionally, but I really can't figure out how my satifaction boils down to this one question. Unfortunately, my response to the survey didn't really reflect any of this, but I do appreciate all this effort.
I think it might be the survey. I have taken this survey at different organizations and they all struggle with the same thing. Is there some other survey we can use?? Sometimes when you are taking that survey you are picking an answer when you do not fully understand what the question is asking.
Post a Comment