You all know that I am a huge college football fan. Yazmin
Hatcher, registration representative in Mountainside, suggested that we have a
few “Football Fridays.” I love your FUN
FAN spirit Yazmin! Every Friday this fall (Sept-Nov) you can dress in your
favorite football team gear – college or professional – and of course wear your
jeans.
I bet some of you are asking, “Why are you such a big fan?”
I love college football because even at a place like Alabama
─ which is all football all the time ─ the players are still
kids. Managing classes, their first time away from home, maybe even their first
real love and heartbreak. They are still real people – not superstars like the
pros, but just normal folks who happen to play ball.
You see tremendous dedication and work ethic. You also see
entire groups of people wrap themselves around the team – an outpouring of
emotion with each win or loss.
In many ways I liken it to the work we do here. We rally
around the children we serve, cheering their every accomplishment in the face
of tremendous challenges. They and their families often have to have super
human strength to stare down the life that could be before them and find the
hope to believe that with hard work, the victory – however it is defined – can
be achieved.
I love all of the different emotions you feel when your
team, or child we are privileged to treat, gets through their season or
finishes their time with us. There are tears, laughter, high fives, and just
pure joy when a goal is achieved. There is also sadness and disappointment when
we fall short but we hold ourselves up with hope… that there will always be
another season.
For our kids, we hope that there will be one more new
treatment or break through, and until that point we just keep doing our best.
Who are you rooting for this season?

5 comments:
Today, in your blog, you beautifully expressed how the CSH team rallies around our patients and their families. I took the liberty to change a few words – Do we do the same for our staff? Perhaps our management, directors, and leaders need to replicate that same devotion, emotion, and purpose among staff. Here is your modified passage:
“Do we rally around our employees, cheering their every accomplishment in the face of tremendous challenges? They have to have super human strength to stare down all the challenges before them and find the hope to believe that with hard work, the victory – however it is defined – can be achieved. I love all of the different emotions we feel when our CSH team we are privileged to work with, gets through their project or maintains their career with us. Do we express tears, laughter, high fives, and just pure joy when a goal is achieved? Do we express sadness and disappointment when we fall short, but hold ourselves up with hope… that there will always be another opportunity?“
I do think that each person needs to be valuably involved in the decisions that affect the work that they do. We ARE a bigger organization, with policies that affect more and more diverse people… patients, families, and employees. Changes in healthcare, increasing workloads, red tape, family demands are inevitable, just as our patient families’ challenges are real. Perhaps we should expand upon what we do so well with our patients, asking “How are we authentically believing in, acknowledging, supporting, cheering, etc. the trials and successes of our CSH employees day by day as they contribute to the improvement/growth of patient services, personal aspirations/goals, families. How can we listen to their frustrations and acknowledge their personal aspirations and challenges.
The Center for Association Leadership posted an article entitles “Enabled Employees Are Happier Employees.” Here is a portion: “Individuals who are highly engaged but face barriers at work, prevent them from doing their jobs effectively… Frustration is a silent epidemic that saps organizations of their best employees, who are engaged and motivated but are prevented from doing their jobs by a non-supportive organizational structure… Many organizations are now at a point where they can't ask their employees to push much more; instead, they must focus on how to make them more effective and efficient. While engagement is required for a productive and profitable workplace, it is just the first step... The real power of our framework comes in calling attention to the "frustrated" employees...The organizations that are judged by employees to be most sensitive to their personal lives effectively manage a broader set of workplace dynamics.”
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!
614We need to keep it simple. Communication is the key. CSH needs to look at personality traits of supervisors and make that a key part in the hiring practice. Its also about self-awareness and how people behave towards one another. If an employee is new heard or spoken to like a chil, the employee will do everything posible to avoid interaction with their supervisor. There is a good chance they won't stay long the supervisor has no clue or insight as to there self focused behavior. It's never about me , it's never about the supervisor, it's all about the work...In conclusion not everyone is cut out to be a supervisor..
Amy, you wrote a wonderful piece about teamwork and those that support them. I am tired of hearing about coworkers frustration with management. I think those that complain will never be satisfied and will always blame others for thier frustration. Part of the team building experience is problem solving. Instead of complaining on a blog offer a solution or talk to someone in person.
I hate seeing Summer go, but love welcoming Fall because it's football season!! Since I was six-years-old, I've been a diehard Miami Dolphins fan (I pretty much bleed orange and teal!)
While I love the Fins, and the sport of football in general, I can't help but to love how you incorporated an even bigger message here... that we are all part of the CSH team. We are part of something bigger than ourselves, bigger than professional sports. We are here for the children and families. We are here to support and advocate for them.
Thankfully our bowl games don't come once a year, they come daily or weekly when as a collective whole there is big wins and progress within the work we all do.
If as a CSH team we can all believe that nothing is impossible, we will keep pushing for wins. Go team!!
Post a Comment