Did you know I’ve been a member of the same church for the last 46
years? At the Palm Sunday service, Mother Karin said something in her sermon
that really struck me. She was referring to how angry all of the disciples
were when they thought that Jesus was coming in to take control and push out
all of those who hadn’t believed.
If you’re familiar with the story, that wasn't what He had in mind. Instead,
He was going to “control” by demonstrating compassion and love, not by punishment.
Now, over a lifetime of Palm Sunday sermons I am not sure why this one
struck me the way it did but that is the gift of sermons, they hit you when you
least expect it.
This made me think of the work we do with our children and families.
Our journey with them, whether it is following an injury or a diagnosis, is not
about us as practitioners taking control of the situation, but by beginning the
steps on the journey to help their child reach their maximum potential.
Frankly, that is the real difference between what we do compared to our
acute care colleagues who specialize in surgical and interventional techniques.
The work that is done at our hospital day after day, sometimes year
after year, is not easy. It isn’t about the quick hit or short win. It is about
taking the time to attempt many techniques and skills to try and assist the
child (and the family) in all sorts of ways.
It is about having the courage to walk alongside them, to support them and
know that you will be with them for the journey.
There are times we may have to face unsurmountable odds and sometimes pain,
when the only thing we have to hold on to is hope – hope that with love,
compassion, and in our case skilled clinicians, we will help that child reach
their full potential. To know that you are never alone, and are truly loved.
In my case, my mistakes have been many and the only comfort that I have
is to know that every day I start with my heart filled with positivity and try
to do my best. I start my day with the comfort that I will be forgiven if I
approach every experience as the servant and not with the goal of being in
charge.
We are all on a journey—with the children and families we care for, as
well as with each other.
This holiday it is my hope that you see the gifts you have and share
them; knowing there will be more given to those who offer their gifts to
others.
4 comments:
Beautifully written, Amy! The biggest gift we have in life is the Present! :)
What a lovely post, Amy. Thank you!
Thank you for the reminder to approach each situtation with the intent to serve instead of control. I feel like I need to tattoo this on my hand.
BEAUTIFUL
Post a Comment