Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Life rules to help stay on the straight and narrow

Rules are not always well-received. After all, they imply that someone is telling us what to do, or keeping us from doing what we want. But sometimes, we set rules for ourselves, to keep us on the right path and remain true to ourselves and our morals.

So today, I want you to think about three questions:
  1. What rules do you live by, either personally or professionally? 
  2. How do you obey by that rule? 
  3. How do you let people who either you work with or live with know about the rules?
As an only child, while I would claim my parents had millions of rules, there was really only a couple that everything else originated from.


First and foremost, do your best. This didn’t necessarily mean I had to get straight As or be perfect by any means, but instead implied that I should exert real effort and truly try with all I have.

The second rule, never ever do anything to disrespect our family's name. Your reputation is the only thing you have control over and if you harm it, you may not get a second chance to repair it.

Lastly, and maybe the most important  in my opinion, is always treat people as you want to be treated, regardless of position or title. Simply, be kind.

Here at Children’s Specialized Hospital, we have a number of “work rules,” but there is one that matters deeply to me, and that is No Surprises.

I don't care if you made a major mistake and something terrible happened. Own it, tell me about it, and together we will figure out a solution. Hiding things or sweeping them under the rug is a deadly sin to me. There are very few things, once you know about them, that can't be worked out. It’s the not knowing that causes much more drama and potential harm to relationships.

My other one that I have adopted as I have become older is that you only get one chance to do the right thing. That one small thing could have meant so much if you had just extended a hand. It is a hard one to live by at times, but it has not steered me wrong.

Ok, so you’ve heard/read all the rules that I live by. And you’ve had some time to think about it as you read through this post. Now I want to know, what are the rules that YOU live by? What are the things that you really believe have led to your success as a person and a professional?

I would love to learn about yours, and if you would be willing to share your name when you respond it might help all of us better understand each other and work together!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My life rules are few but I exercise them in my personal and professional life and expect the same from my son:

1) Honesty & truthfulness - always be honest and truthful, even if it gets you in trouble.
2) Always do your best - you owe it to yourself, your coworkers, and family.
3) Loyalty - loyalty to your job and the company you work for and loyalty to family.
4) With hardwork and dedication, you can do anything!

Alice Khan/Finance

Anonymous said...

In middle school, my Social Studies teacher gave our class an assignment. We needed to write an essay based on "Many rules and laws that limit our freedom are the same rules and laws that protect our freedom." I remember the throught process invovled in writing that essay and think about it to this day. I reflect on it in so many situations - personal, work, community, etc. So often we complain about rules and restrictions, but without them, order would cease to exist. Sometimes we may like them, other times we may feel violated. But we need to make sacrifices for the "greater good" and realize that it really isn't "about me." We all have a different level or opinions about various restrictions placed upon us, but at the core, it's about empathy and greater good.

Amanda V said...

I have many I have learned from my parents, who were both teachers and well respected in their community, church, and circle of friends.
1. You only get one chance to make a first impression
2. Do your best at everything you do, even if you fail you will know you failed trying and learn for next time.
3. Always see the good in each situation

Many more, but those are my favorites!

Jessica Krill said...

I have many rules that I try live by and instill in my daughters everyday.

1. Treat others the way you want to be treated
2. Please and thank you go a long way
3. Live like you never know who is watching
4. Try your best...
5. Remember life is short, enjoy the moment.

BobbiJo Pansier said...

If it scares you - do it!

I discovered I get the most out of life when I live by this simple rule. This rule helps me in my career (finding jobs I love, no matter how far from my family/friends), it has pushed me to explore amazing parts of the world by myself, it continues to challenge me to do better and to extend myself. When I started living by this rule – I began to learn more about myself than I ever thought possible.

BobbiJo Pansier said...

If it scares you - do it!

I discovered I get the most out of life when I live by this simple rule. This rule helps me in my career (finding jobs I love, no matter how far from my family/friends), it has pushed me to explore amazing parts of the world by myself, it continues to challenge me to do better and to extend myself. When I started living by this rule – I began to learn more about myself than I ever thought possible.