Every year, we celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of May. This year, as Mother’s Day approaches, it reminds me of all of the amazing women I have been blessed with in my life.
My maternal grandmother was one of 13 children. The first child was born in Poland, and at the turn of the century the family escaped to the United States. The family of farmers was a very male-dominated family, where the men ate first and when they were finished the women were allowed to sit at the table and eat.
No one messed with my great grandmother. She stood only 5 feet tall but ruled with an iron fist. She loved me oh so very much, but she could make people run from a room with that evil eye of hers.
My father’s Aunt Doris was a force of nature. Born in Portugal, her family moved to Massachusetts. Later in life she was widowed with a 1-year-old daughter. She worked at the Reed and Barton silver mill. Aunt Doris and I were fast friends. She loved to cook and I loved to learn. I remember she had a million expressions, and was always taking in someone or lending a hand to those who needed it.
No one has had more influence on me than my own mother.
You probably already know that I am an only child. There is a special bond between only children and their parents.
My mother is an artist. She taught me to really see the picture. She would ask, “What do you see?” I would answer, “A black line and red dot.” Then, in her most encouraging tone she’d reply, “Look harder. Can’t you see a face, or maybe the sun?” She taught me to dig deep, not to see what is in front of me but look beyond to see something more beautiful.
She also taught me to do that with people and in different situations—to not make judgments about what is apparent, but instead to look for the good (or sometimes evil) as it may be.
My love of art and music come from her. She doesn’t always like the same art that I like, but she always says the same thing, “It has to speak to you. That is what makes it come alive.”
I am blessed to still have both my parents with me, something I cherish every day. While we bicker from time to time, like any mother and daughter, both my parents know that none of the blessings that have come to me would have happened without their unconditional love and support.
My best wishes to all of you who celebrate Mother’s Day! Thank you for all the mothering you do for our children and your colleagues.
Is there anything you would like to share about how your Mother influenced who you are today?

4 comments:
Similar to your grandmother, my mother was one of 16 children. She had a very hard childhood and was pulled out of school in eighth grade to help raise her younger brothers and sisters. Although she might not have a formal education, she has taught me two valuable lessons in life--to be caring and compassionate towards others-- in her words-- "this is what is most important". For this, I am eternally grateful. I wish all of you a very Happy and Blessed Mother's Day.
There is nothing like a mom, especially your own who you can look up to, emulate, turn to in dire situations, laugh and cry with. The older I get, the closer I grow to my mother. My grandmothers were both huge influences in my life, as well. Years after they are both gone, I am still learning from them. Grateful, blessed, touched, amazed. To all the moms, thank you! Please know how loved you are!
Thanks for sharing Amy! I have had the incredible blessing of having two moms in my life. My mom, Aurelia, taught me many life lessons but most important to me is she taught me that having a compassionate heart and putting others before your self is one of the most important values you can have. My mom was a major executive for Volunteers of America, mind you without having a college degree. She was in charge of putting up group homes for foster children, disabled, homeless and even former inmates. She would go into township meetings and fight to have these communities accept these group homes in town. And most of the time, she won. She has given me her compassion and fighting spirit.
The second mother in my life is my step-mom, Susan. Susan, who passed away two years ago last fall, was a spitfire! She had polo when she was very young and had limited mobility. But she didn’t let that stop her from earning a doctorate, becoming a college professor and then being appointed the commissioner for people with disabilities by President Clinton. She was instrumental in passing the Ticket to Work program in the Social Security Administration – making sure people with disabilities who are able to work, can work! She also traveled the globe speaking and counseling others on the importance of providing adequate healthcare and rehab services. Susan spent many summers as a child in hospitals, much like our own. She has amazing stories about how she would talk the orderlies into sliding the kids down the fire escape shoots, on their mattresses IN FULL BODY CASTS for FUN! Susan gave me incredible self-confidence. There wasn’t a challenge I was faced with that she didn’t think I could accomplish; with the right practice or skills – anything is possible.
A compassionate heart, fighting spirit and anything is possible… quite the combination.
It’s funny where life brings you and you look back and realize ah… this is why I’m here… Susan and my mom are probably why I ended up here, helping these families and kids – not clinically, but in my own way, I feel like my moms have shaped my life… isn’t that what a parent is supposed to do?
I just hope I can have the same positive impact on my two boys.
I was raised by a selfless and compassionate woman, who instilled these same values in me. I spend most of my time around other people who devote their life to helping others (at work mostly, however I have found that most of my friends are in "helping professions" as well). I sometimes find myself around people who have quite a different outlook on life. These people find what I do "incredible"-however I could never imagine living my life any differently.
I am very blessed to have had such an incredible role model. A woman who truly understands the meaning of motherhood, sisterhood, and friendship. A woman who has faced pain, trauma, and loss--yet still devotes her life to her family, friends, and complete strangers! My mother's life is a testament to living selfessly & how helping others is the best thing for your spirit.
Post a Comment