Ok, so I
don't want to sound like I have become my mother (trust me, that’s a whole other
blog post), but I want to share with you some reflections. Our employee
engagement survey starts on Monday, and one of the questions asks about the
tools you need to do your job.
I grew up with
my mother reminding me about how fortunate I am to have grown up both when
I did and how I did. She loved to tell the story about walking miles to
school through feet of snow, uphill, both ways etc. I bet you’ve heard the same
from your parents.
I would just
roll my eyes every time the story would start again. Yes, I too had that nasty
habit and I’m not proud of it. Even as I write this post, I can hear my
mother’s voice telling those stories.
Some of the
questions you will be asked during the employee engagement survey (which begins
on Monday!) will be about having the tools you need to do your job. I have a
few things to share with you guys today about this one.
I remember
vividly being in Toms River Main Street during one of my first employee
meetings and our colleagues begging
for new space—bigger gym and better space. I also remember the need to have
better equipment at Stevens Road and the need to redo the North Wing in
Mountainside.
Over the
last decade we have invested over $100
million into our organization. We built a new inpatient hospital, opened or
renovated 6 of our facilities – including our Long Term Care unit in
Mountainside.
Let’s talk
about the technological advancements! We created an electronic medical record
(EMR), a scanning system, an electronic pharmacy tracking system, new billing
systems – including electronic payment from insurers. We have implemented the
use of the VGo with our babies and introduced new clinical programs to meet the
needs of our patients.
When it comes to staff, we have added improvements in support of staff by improving the at-home sign on and the reimbursement tracking and payment processes at your requests. You have driven our clinical improvements, and we have continuously expanded and invested as you all have told us about new things.
While I
know we will continue to evolve, I am so very thankful that we have done this
with the tremendous support of our Foundation and donors who have funded most
of these investments.
One of the
most important things we have invested in is training for staff and by
staff. Expanding your access to the experts among all of us and featuring you
in the work that we are doing. From Clinical Rounds to Leadership Learning
Retreats, we are all continuing our learnings and striving to grow. Many of you
have presented at national and international conferences, sharing your
expertise and featuring the hospital as one that showcases you and your great
work!
Guys, I
know we’re not perfect. And yes, there will always be more things to do and
more needs, but it’s important that we take a look at the big picture. We continue
to look for new and different ways to improve our services for our kids,
understanding that we have to make our investments prudently to serve the most
kids. THAT is what’s important.
I am so
very proud of the work we have done and excited about the continued success
that I know is before us.
What
improvement has helped you to do your job better?

No comments:
Post a Comment