When the
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center was sold to Saint Barnabas Health System in
1996, the money from that sale established The HealthCare Foundation of NJ, a foundation dedicated to
improving healthcare for vulnerable populations in greater Newark and the Jewish community.
A portion
of this foundation fund created the Lester Z. Lieberman Humanism in Healthcare
Award, an award that recognizes a healthcare staff on the front line who – in
addition to being a skilled clinician – demonstrates and lives the value of
always treating patients with respect.
You may a
recall a recent email where we shared the wonderful news that our very own Elio Arrechea will be recognized this
year. We were thrilled to hear this, and are so proud that he is being
recognized.
Elio fits
this award to a tee! He is a highly skilled clinician who always finds a way to
support the children he cares for, his colleagues, our hospital as a whole, and
the broader community with a sense of respect and purpose.
In the long
list of skills that Elio has, one that I am in awe of is his master of Code
Green. Let me explain.
These
situations are never easy, or the code wouldn’t have been called in the first
place! I remember reading an event report that Elio was involved in. The descriptions
that everyone shared of Elio’s actions had a common theme of phrases like “Elio sat on the ground with the child and
quietly began to speak to him” or “Elio
was able to calm him and redirect the child to a safe place to regain
composure” or “Elio ensured that Mom
was safe and felt that she was not at risk.”
In
addition, Elio often volunteers with his own children at Children’s Specialized
Hospital events. The care and tenderness that he has with our children is mirrored
with his own children. It’s heartwarming to see his children interact
respectfully with the children we care for, treating them as friends instead of
focusing on their medical frailty.
We are all
so proud of Elio for being recognized and proud that he is part of the Children’s
Specialized Family.
Elio will
be honored with the Lester Z. Lieberman Humanism in Healthcare Award this
coming Monday, July 20 at 5:15 pm at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston. Since we
all can’t attend the ceremony (as much as we’d like to I’m sure), let’s share
our congratulations with him on Give a WOW!

8 comments:
I can't think of a more deserving individual. Elio is a true professional. He is calm and clinically talented, but also a lot of fun. Elio is my go-to person when I need a reality check, someone to lend an ear, or just a good laugh. He keeps me grounded. Everyone he comes in contact with is better for having met him. Congratulations, Elio!
Congratulations, Elio! Have a great time celebrating your many accomplishments!
It is an honor to know Elio. So pleased to see him receive this recognition. Elio is always willing to help and has frequently volunteered his time to support underserved communities. Ask him to demonstrate the disco method of breaking a hold during PRCES II (Crisis Management)!
Amy thank you so much for sharing this with us! To know Elio is to love him!! If someone asked me to define Elio I would simply say "pure human joy"!! Always super nice and always there to listen, understand, offer perspective and wisdom. Like I said "pure human joy"!! Elio - Have a wonderful time tonight!! Congratulations!!
Elio is a very special person. His kindness and compassion shine through in all that he does. He is a wonderful role model for all of us!!
Congratulations on the award--there is no one more deserving :)
Congratulations Elio. I can only echo the words of everyone else when saying you are so deserving of this recognition for all that you do for your patients, families, and co workers. I have witnesssed how wonderful and caring you are when diffusing difficult situations when a code green is called. Without hesitation you instintively know what to do. I always say if something is going to happen to me please let it be when I am at work because I know a great team will come running. My hat is off to you!
So excited for you. It couldn't have gone to a more deserving person. I miss working alongside you. So great to see you face, if only in a photo. Keep doing what you're doing!!.,
Has been a great honor to knowing and working with Elio. I have also witnessed his professionalism and care with our families and kids. Congrats Elio, you deserve it!
Post a Comment