Have you ever caught yourself in the “outside world” doing
things that you do while at work here at Children’s Specialized and wondered if
people are looking at you funny?
I have!
Last week I was walking in from the Plum Street parking deck
in the middle afternoon. Jagdar Tamesar (Environmental Services) was walking in
with me and I bent down to pick up garbage from the floor in the parking deck.
Now, if you have been in the Plum Street deck in New
Brunswick, you know that while the New Brunswick Parking Authority does great
work, the parking deck has a pretty heavy flow of traffic in and out, so it is
hard to keep it clean.
Stuff on the floor is a pet peeve of mine. I think of my work
space the same way that I do of my home. I would never walk over a piece of
garbage in my own home, so I wouldn’t leave it on the floor here at work
either.
Want to hear something funny? One Sunday I came into the
hospital and Marion Bethea (PAS, Mtn) was poking fun because she saw me on the
security cameras picking up hairpins that were on the floor!
Another thing I do all the time is talk to random children –
not just our kids, but any kid. I ask them about their day and talk to
them about the clothes they are wearing. Their parents are either thrilled that
someone is taking notice of their children or they think I am a total crackpot.
Let’s hear it! What little quirks do you carry with you from
our work here?
4 comments:
I have a repertoir (sp?) of famous quotes from CSH kids that I use conversationally whenever the occasion arises, usually with that childs tone, accent or inflection....a few of my favorites are : " I can do it myself"...." Not today, Nurse, I'm going home", and " I gotta big dog, he's gonna bite you!"
Answering my home phone, "Thank you for calling Rainbow Cafe, Kim speaking!!!":(
I am far from a neat freak, my husband and Vivian can attest to that. But I do pick-up things around the hospital... anything that someone could slip on or put in a mouth. When the throw away boxes in the hall are sticking out too far from the wall, you may catch me restacking or straightening them.
After the cleaning lady has swooped through my house and I come home to find paintings ascew, I feel like I'm in a fun house... makes me crazy... straighten, straighten, straighten, all over the house.
I have a good eye. I can tell looking at something whether it is level or not. You'll see me straightening pictures throughout the hospital if you're tracking me.
My dentist and doctors seem to appreciate me maintining their waiting rooms.
Well, it's not exactly quirky, but I have definitely made a pretty big change because of the Press Ganey. Since I started working here, I have learned to make an effort to fill out surveys from medical facilities. My old habit was to toss them immediately. I really hate the mail and the resulting pile that collects from week to week demanding attention. So, now, I do them. Begrudgingly.
Post a Comment