I’m sure we all have that one treasured keep sake from a special time in our lives, event, or loved one that brings you joy every time you see it. Right?
In my home and my office, I have a number of pieces of art and pottery that either has been given to me as gifts or, in some cases, my Mother made. Each one has a story and brings me back to a moment or memory that makes me smile.
There is a small round vase on the table in my office that I bought in California when I was at a Children's Hospital Association meeting with a former colleague from Robert Wood Johnson. Every morning when I walk into my office I am taken back to that wonderful day spent with her, and smile at my fortune to still have her as a friend although our roads are now much different.
I also have a ring that I wear often. I bought it after a dear friend from church lost her fight to ovarian cancer at the age of 45, leaving three children under the age of 14– two of which have special needs – and a husband who cared for her through every moment of her illness. The ring was a splurge, but her death was a reminder to me of how precious life is.
As you know, I am still blessed to have both my parents, but I am sure that there will be things of theirs that I can't imagine living without. Fortunately I haven't had to cross that bridge yet.
What’s your prized possession(s)? What’s that one (or two, or three) thing that brings you much joy or you hold dear to your heart?
3 comments:
My most prized possessions are my grandmothers garden tools and my mothers recipe box and very old Betty Crocker cookbook. Since both have passed on, these possessions hold countless memories from the two most influential women in my life.
When working with my grandmothers tools I am reminded of her teaching me basic gardening skills and her patience with my endless questions. Sounds silly, but the tools kind of become a conduit to many great conversations with her while I am out in the yard working.
The recipe box with hand written cards and cookbook with written notations from my mother brings many happy memories of time spent cooking together and planning holidays. Although I have yet to master her cooking skills, honestly don't even come close - I still enjoy trying. I often chuckle because my lack of cooking skills is probably due to the fact that growing up I would run out to the yard to pull weeds just to get out of cooking! Still do if I can get my husband to cook!
One of my most prized possession is an old salt box that was my grandmothers and then was my mothers. It is very pretty and although I no longer use it to hold salt, it sits on my kitchen counter and brings memories of the time I spent in the kitchen with my mother who was a fabulous cook. I also have all of my mothers hand written recipes.
Another prized possession I have is a ring that my son gave me when he was seven years old- He had bought it at the Secret Santa shop at school and gave it to me for Christmas. The ring is tarnished but it has two hearts entwined on it. When my son gave it to me he said that we will always be together and he would never put me in a nursing home. The ring hangs on a chain on my rear view mirror and I smile every time I see it. My son is now 24.
If a figurine broke at my grandparents store in The Bronx, NY. My grandmother would glue it together and display it at home. They had a very ornate, ceramic shoe with flowers and gold scrolls painted on it. As a young child I would sneak the shoe off the shelf and pretend it was Cinderella's shoe. My foot was too big but I tried to wear it anyway. When they passed away, the shoe was an item I took to remember them by. Flash forward to my daughter, age 3, sneaking the shoe from my dresser and trying to put it on her foot. I will cherish this tacky, cracked, ceramic shoe forever! To me it is priceless!!
Post a Comment