So you may recall from previous blog posts that my Dad and I
have a daily exercise date at 4:30 a.m. We meet five days a week and I get my
running fix in.
Running helps me clear my head and makes everything better
for me. It’s very therapeutic.
Between Christmas and New Year's I got a rude awakening.
Literally! I was awoken in the middle of the night by what I can only describe
as a feeling like if someone was sticking pins in a voodoo doll's hip. A voodoo
doll that was supposed to be me!
Literally out of a dead sleep my hip locked up and I
screamed out loud.
After four days of dragging my leg behind me in pain while I
walked and relying on a combination of Icy Hot, massages, Advil, and a healthy
dose of self-pity, I emailed Pattie Foley (VP, Outpatient Services) for a
consult.
It turns out that I have something called Iliotibial Band
Syndrome (or ITBs). While it has a long, fancy name it just means I strained
the muscle between my hip and knee.
And guess what the fix is? Rest and stretching. It has now been over a week of trying to fix
this and I have to say that I have been miserable. Actually, that is an
understatement.
You know I am addicted to my FitBit,
so reaching my daily goal is basically out of the question. Plus, my running
has been completely sidelined, eliminating all opportunities for me to clear my
head!
Are you enjoying my pity party yet?
This whole inconvenience has forced me to try other ways to
heal, such as deep cleansing breaths. But, it has also been a stark reminder of
just how hard it is for our kids and their parents who are recovering from what
they are dealing with.
Yes, there are signs of life and healing, but I have to keep
reminding myself that it is a process and no amount of gnashing of teeth or rushing
will replace the hard work and time. Patience is key.
I’m curious – do you have a story similar to mine where you
had to work through something challenging that tested your patience? Or do you
have advice for me – besides put my big girl pants on and stop whining – to
help me through my challenge?

13 comments:
Alabama winning didn't help the hip pain?
Rest and yoga! You'll be back to running in no time. In the meantime a small pity party is understandable...
Several years ago I hurt myself dancing an "Elaine Benes celebratory dance" for winning a shuffle board game. Hip and caboose, out of commission. Could hardly walk and dragged my leg across the beach on vacation. An embarrassing and pitiful reminder of my age.
Dr. Jester recommends PT. Make time to take care of yourself.
I am sorry to hear your in pain, pity is needed sometimes. Feel Better!!
You didn't mention Alabama's win!
A few years ago I ran 2 half marathons, a nine miler, and a few 5K's within 14 months. I ran and ignored the pain in my foot and hip. Then tragedy struck and my sister passed away suddenly. I stopped running for several months, as my life was turned upside down. Once I started running again, the pain was terrible. I thought that more cortisone shots was all that I needed so off I go to the doctor. Well fast forward, after a few scans, it turns out that I have a partially torn (50%) Achilles Tendon and arthritis in my hip. Moral of the story: Life has a funny way of slowing us down. Use it to your advantage and listen to your body. Rest like the doctor told you and take care of yourself. You have to use your oxygen mask first before giving to others. Hoping you have a speedy recovery!
Rest and yoga (and of course some wine). Unfortunately, I have had many bouts of debilitating neck and back pain. During the acute events, I feel like I will never walk again or lead a normal healthy life. Although my chronic condition has definitely limited my activities (no more head stands, back handsprings, etc), I am always so grateful to get back on my feet and resume normal function. Although not something I would choose, having these experiences also keeps me grounded and empathetic to the daily struggles of our patients.
Take home message... it's ok to have a short-lived pity party, but then get moving and healing both physically and emotionally! If you don't take care of yourself, you won't have the energy and patience to care for others and continue your life's work.
Everyone who is active gets boo boo's. My best advice, find a great manual therapist PT who does a great movement assessment and get some individualized treatment. I'm a PT but I don't treat myself, because I can't see myself move. I go to someone objective, and exquisitely trained, who I hand pick and am willing to pay out of pocket. If he or she can't help me, they are both humble enough to refer me out. If you drove a luxury car, would you let just any old mechanic do your tune ups? No, you'd take the time to find someone who knows how to fix the problem YOUR car has. Our bodies are luxury vehicles. We should treat them as such.
I had to deal with the same issue several years back. I went to a doctor who told me "You know, there are other things to do besides running." After getting more poor advice, I was out for about 2 years. I realized running was like my way of meditating, how I could center myself, and I needed to get back into it. I found a new doctor, and a new therapist. I worked my way back up slowly, but eventually went faster and further than I had in the past. And I found out there ARE other things to do besides run - so now I swim, bike, AND run! You'll get through this - Wish you a healthy recovery!
Very strange...but I just had the same pain over the same time period you were sidelined! I finally gave in and drove up to Katonah, NY to see a Do who specializes in osteopathic muscle manipulation. I saw him this fall prior to running the Chicago Marathon and he did wonders on working on my knee. Recently, the pain started in the tensor fasciae latae muscle and radiated down the IT band. Now it could just be the IT band in your case and a good foam roller will work it out. However, if the hip pain is still there your muscles are probably so tight and/or having spasms and your muscles need to be reset. He is amazing and I swear by these treatments. With my long runs and teaching classes I find my hips and muscles get tight and besides rest this is amazing. I've slept pain free since Friday and taught my spin and body pump classes without any issues. I highly recommend this treatment. Still trying to find someone local who does it but it was worth the drive. Good luck & Happy Running!
Being in the fitness industry this is right up my alley. Have you tried active release therapy? I have a wonderful reference if you are interested or another route could be Z health. Neither of these are the traditional methods however, I have seen people go back to their daily routines after using both.
Z-Health is a fitness system that reshapes the way you move by focusing on and improving the connection between the brain and body.
Good Luck!
I am also a big fan of using the foam roller. It was the one thing that allowed me to start running again after I had given it up for many years because of recurring pain. Check this out:
http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/the-almost-magical-foam-roller
Good luck! Hope you are up and running again soon!
Sometimes the pain of recovery is much greater than the pain of the injury.
Hi Amy,
Sorry for being a late responder, just catching up...I feel so bad for you - I completely identify with your feelings. I've had to learn with my achilles tendon rupture somethings are out of our control and healing just takes time. I also hate, absolutely hate to have to ask for help and I had to I had no choice. Being the self reflective person that I am and a true believer in God I am completely convinced that God has an amazing "Irish" type of sense of humor. For me losing my foot forced me to slow down. I had to give my husband a chance to care for our son which he loves to do but I always had to be in charge and in control of our son and everything. No more. It has been very strange for me. My recovery is suppose to take about six months and I'm four months in. My whole identity is different. I'm more of the traditional husband in my marriage now, and I'm not very good at it!! My husband is cooking, doing laundry, caring for my son and he loves it. Back to God. I believe he gives us a chance to let others have a chance and for us to slow down and when we don't or won't he steps in. I think for me it's all going to be better then ever, I'm still adjusting. Hang in there! We never stop learning and growing! Isn't life grand!!
Post a Comment