Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a joyous holiday with their family and loved ones.
One of my friends got a new Ipad for her birthday and she is totally enthralled with all of the things it does. She told me about an "app" that she called "Shazam" that will match the music that is playing and tell her what it is. Think of how many times we have heard a new song, or even an old song that we hadn't thought of for years, and you want to find it but can’t remember the name. This technology gets you the song just by listening to it and will allow you to buy it on Itunes immediately.
So it started me thinking, let’s have a little fun surrounding the holiday season and talk about some of the great or funny gifts we each received this year. Did you get a really great gift over the holiday - new technology or something that makes you smile? Or something that made this holiday extra special?
My cousin gave me "dysfunctional family bingo" - haven't opened it but it did make me laugh. I’ve also heard of families passing around the same gag gift every holiday – is this part of your family’s tradition? If so, what do you pass around?
What about that present that just made you go, “Hu?” You know, when Aunt Nancy gives you a lovely baby sweater, but you don’t have any kids. Or Uncle Charlie gives your 9 year old son a pair of pink bunny slippers?
Let’s have a few laughs and enjoy our gifts a little longer by sharing our stories.
10 comments:
One of my coworkers gave me a CD with Christmas songs on it - and I am Jewish!
Coolest gift: An Ipod touch so I can play "Words with Friends" - basically scrabble. I LOVE IT! And it helps me relax and destress from work and the kids.
Silliest gift: a weight rack... with out any weights. That gift giver will remain nameless.
My sister talked all year about the "awesome" gift she was getting my husband (who just got an iphone).
The gift: a bluetooth "old school" telephone receiver that functions wirelessly from his phone. . .
So, now I guess we have a "hands-free" (as in hold it on your shoulder like we used to") device for his new phone . . .
Sometimes "awesome" is in the eye of the giver? :) It made for a funny Christmas morning.
This is not a gift I received, but one I gave. I received an e mail from my 28 year old son saying: "For Christmas I'd like thermals size small chocolate". I thought it was a very short list! I searched both on the internet and in stores for a pair of men's size small thermals in chocolate. I couldn't find them anywhere. In the end I had to settle for two sets of thermals, one in black and one in beige, hoping it would make up for my inability to find them in the color he requested. Come Christmas and the family is all around opening gifts and when my son gets to his thermals, I say, " I am so sorry, I couldn't find thermals in chocolate anywhere, but I hope you like the black and beige ones". He looked at me quizzically and said, “I don't care about colors, you know that!" As it turned out he wanted thermals, and chocolates! I suppose you had to be there, but everyone thought it was hilarious. He also got the chocolates, by the way!
"Santa Claus" gave our 9-year-old son a set of electronic drums without consulting with "Mrs. Claus",who would have wanted them to have a plug for earphones. Ended up being one of his favorite presents and our least favorite!
My most unusual Christmas Gift that I received this year is a brain model made out of different kinds of pasta noodles. My nephew Max who is in sixth grade made it and received an A+. I am keeping it in my office for patients to see.
Not me but my sister in law from her mother in law received a bag of hangers with a free gift a flashlight. It has become the joke of the family.
You know that I love to use the word -"Wahoo!" - For me it just makes me smile when I say it and when you read it, I want you to feel how excited I am - hence "WAHOO!" One of my dear colleagues from work found a tshirt with WAHOO Football on the front. You will never see me at work with it on, but I will definitely make good use of it and it did make me smile!
This year for the first time our family had a "white elephant" gift exchange on Christmas Eve. My takeaway (which makes me laugh each time I see it) is a 'Christmas Story Leg Lamp Talking Keychain.'
This year for the first time our family had a "white elephant" gift exchange on Christmas Eve. My takeaway (which makes me laugh each time I see it) is a 'Christmas Story Leg Lamp Talking Keychain.'
Post a Comment