Today
is election day and every member of our House of Representatives and one of
our US senators is up for re-election; there are a variety of local races too.
In New
Jersey, unless there is a presidential election, only one third of eligible
voters actually go to the polls. That means roughly 30 percent of New Jersey
residents select who will represent us in Congress. Kind of an alarming
statistic, don’t you think?
Now,
if these 30 percent of voters think like you, then I bet you’d be content, but
for the residents who may hold different views than you, by not voting you have
given up your right to be at the table.
You
may have already heard this, but in my first job out of college I worked in Washington,
DC for Congressman Jim Florio. There, even at the age of 23, I learned first-hand
just how important that single vote and your voice is. People would come in all
day long to discuss changes or support for the issues they were passionate
about, just like I do when we go down to Washington with our families!
Even
more, what I saw during my time in Washington was very few people taking the
time to weigh-in on an issue or write to their elected officials directly!
The
constitution is set up so we can all participate, free of charge, and vote each
November. It is your chance to ensure that someone who thinks like you
represents your voice in Congress. Voting can’t guarantee that your candidate
will win the election, but it does mean that at least you were heard.
I
have included a list from the League of Women Voters of candidates’ positions. The
group is a non-partisan group – they can’t endorse anyone, but they share the responses from candidates to questions that were asked.
If
you are not sure who your elected official is, this tool allows you to submit your address and find out! Also, click here to find your voting
location.
No comments:
Post a Comment