You may have
already heard that I am hooked on my Fitbit
– an activity tracker that you wear to track your steps, count your calories,
and even help you see how well you sleep.
I’m VERY
serious about making sure I hit my goal in steps each day. I park farther away from
the front door of wherever I’m headed and take the stairs whenever possible.
If I
haven’t completed my goal of 12,500 (you can set your goal to whatever you
want) at the end of the night, I stand by my bed and march in place to get
the steps in. See? I told you I’m serious about it! Some might say obsessed…
but it’s for a good reason.
Since I
have got my Fitbit in March, there have only been 5 days that I missed my goal.
The Fitbit is such an easy way to say “wait, this is important for me to do.”
Plus, it’s fun to watch the step counter go up as you climb to your goal!
I don’t
think my goal of 12,500 steps is going to change the course of my life but it
is one thing that I do each and every day that is just for me. No one else
cares whether I do it or not, but to me it is the time I carve out for myself and
because of that it’s important to me. Plus, I feel a sense of accomplishment as
soon as I reach that goal!
There are
times when I can’t make it to the gym because of my schedule or the snow has
sucked the life out of me and I just can’t slug through. I’m sure I’m not the
only one feeling the effects of the weather! But I always have my trusty Fitbit
on my wrist saying “Don’t forget me; you’re so close to your goal!”
Is there
something you do each day to take care of yourself? Maybe meditation, a walk
around the block – something that is just for you, and while it might not
change the course of your life, you still do it because it matters just to you?

2 comments:
I LOVE my FitBit! In the winter months it took forever for me to get to my goal of 10,000 steps but now that it's getting warmer and I can take the dogs for longer walks I'm doing so much better.
I also drink a ton of water. I have a water container that I fill throughout the day. I try to average at least 100 oz of water while at work, and then drink more before and after work while at home.
Great job Megan! I need to drink more water!
In New Brunswick for Recreational Therapy Month, our team encouraged staff members to find time for recreation & fun. There wasn't as much participation as we had hoped, but the benefits were incredible for those that tried the yoga class & played badminton with us!
How many of us end our day knowing that we had an impact on someone else's life? How many of us end each day feeling like we did something to take care of ourselves?
I asked myself those questions and realized that I needed to re-balance. I finally found a physical activity that I look forward to. For me, I found out that gymnastics isn't just for elementary school chilren & olympians. Now I don't look forward to Fridays.... I look forward to Wednesday mornings!
I hope others can find a motivating, fun, and healthy activity. If you need any help...you have a whole group of Recreational Therapists here at CSH that can help you identify a leisure activity that best suits your interests & skills :-)
Post a Comment