Thursday, March 19, 2015

When you love what you do, it’s not just a job

When someone asks you “Why do you enjoy going to work at Children’s Specialized Hospital every day,” how would you answer? Just think about it for a minute.

I wanted to share this story with you guys to share an example from Gina Freeman about why she enjoys working at Children’s Specialized. 

Gina Freeman (Occupational Therapy Supervisor, Toms River 94 Stevens Rd) recently shared with me that her team had an outstanding in-service training on ribcage breath support, positioning for feeding, and oral motor facilitation for feeding. The training was informative, and well received by the team, but it was even more special due what was going on in the environment DURING this training.

They were able to prepare the in-service training in the midst of very busy schedules and the UltiPro roll out!

Trish West-Low (Physical Therapy, Toms River 94 Stevens), Jen Kus (Speech, Toms River 94 Stevens), Cara Melmid (Speech, Toms River 94 Stevens), Megan Lafontaine (Occupational Therapy, Toms River 94 Stevens), Dalthea Beavers (Physical Therapy, Toms River 94 Stevens), and Melissa Smith (Speech Clinical Lead, New Brunswick) presented a patient demonstration and clinical discussion that was useful across all disciplines and programs. 
Then they were lucky enough to have the clinical leads present for the in-service and continued the discussion. Problem solving and brainstorming continued for the rest of the afternoon in the gym and in the staff office.

This example is exactly what comes to my mind when I think about what makes working at Children’s Specialized so special. When colleagues can get together and share their knowledge, help one another, and improve the great work they do it’s a true testament to wanting each other to succeed and wanting to provide the best care for our children.

Why do I love coming to work every day at Children’s Specialized?

For me there isn't just one thing I love about Children's Specialized – it is about how all the parts work together.

Your selfless dedication to the children we care for, their families, as well as to each other. When the chips are down, you all have stepped up – whether it is giving your free time, sacrificing your TOP days, donating to the crisis fund, or simply showing love. There is no end to how you extend yourselves.

Also, the kids. You know I didn't get to have children of my own, but the children whose lives I have been able to come in contact with have deep meaning in my heart. I appreciate I feel vulnerable enough to cry with a family when that is what is needed and strong enough to be their rock when the situation requires.

All of these things we get to do each and every day. It is a pretty special place that lets that all happen each and every day.

Now tell me in the comments, Why do YOU enjoy coming to work at Children’s Specialized every day?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm much different than any other of the PTs at the Mountainside facility. Sure, there are good days and bad. But when you work with great people and then you see that one child with the brightest smile ever.. it makes you realize just how great it is to be here.

Anonymous said...

When I was granted the somewhat "coveted" designation of working from home I had mixed feelings. Of course, who wouldn't want to be home each day and still be productive in their job? Well, I missed the activity of seeing everyone who makes this a great place to work and who made what I do important. As I am not in direct patient care I felt removed from the every day feeling of being a part of a team and part of the overall success that Children's Specialized Hospital means so much to so many people. I needed to come back, as much as I hate to get up in the morning and treck through snow and bad weather, I love my job and being part of this team.

Crissy Ramirez said...

I truly enjoy coming to work because this is not a job for me, it’s just enhancing a culture of what I already believe – Dedication and Value. As a mother I know that EVERYTHING I do is because I love and value my daughter. Therefore, working at Children’s Specialized Hospital is me sharing how important I believe every child is. Although I work in the office, preparing a report or even mailing to donors a thank you letter is just a different way of extending their significance. Every single child here deserves our BEST. After all, how much is a child’s smile, self-esteem, even the tiniest progress worth?

Anonymous said...

I love to know that I can help families each and everyday. I love that I work with people that care about thier co-workers feelings and we all work as a team in our department. I love that we are flexible when I need family time.

Trish West-Low said...

Even on the hardest of days, I feel like I work with a group of people who truly have my back. I also get to come to work and laugh at least once every single day. I tell my neices that when they choose the person they want to spend your life with, they should choose someone who makes them laugh, because everyone ages and and gets wrinkly. I would say the same thing about choosing your job. Choose one where you can laugh with your co-workers, because laughter is by far the best medicine.

Anonymous said...

Working here at Children's has taught me about how to live life. I have seen children and families go through the worst that life has to offer and come out on the other side and survive and even go on to laugh. I have learned to appreciate the small things, and to know that love is what really makes the difference between a life that seems like hell and a life that is joyful. I can show love in such small seemingly insignificant ways and it can make a difference in someone's life. That is a gift that working here has given me.

Janice Kelly said...

I love working here because of the overwhelming dedication to helping children and their families. I've never worked for a company that had a mission to help - only companies that had a mission to make money. It's COMPLETELY different and WONDERFUL! This is a magical place that I'm proud to be a part of.