Tuesday, April 7, 2015

True friends leave paw prints on your heart

I recently read an opinion article published in The New York Times titled “My Mother’s Shadow.” As I was reading it, I cried.

If you have read any of my blog posts over the years or even seen me at a Children’s Specialized Hospital event, you know it’s not uncommon for me to get emotional about certain things. So I guess it’s not really a surprise that this article really tugged on my heart strings.

The article is about the relationships that are built between humans and their pets. It has long been reported as one of the most important relationships that people can have in their lifetime. The bond between human and animal is more than just owner and pet. There is a deep, emotional tie between people and their pets.

As a child, I always had either a dog or cat, usually both. I had a Siamese cat, Cracker, for my first 17 years of life. She was the meanest, but most beautiful cat you ever met. She would religiously sleep with me at night, which was coincidentally the only time she wasn’t scratching or biting me!

My parents, myself, and Cracker.
I loved that cat so much, and when she took her last breath, the heaviness in my heart was matched only by the devastation I felt emotionally. I have not owned another cat since.

I have had multiple dogs over the years. Bow Wow, Tangerine, Brandy, and my last dog Kahlua.

Bow Wow was a mutt who actually roamed around the neighborhood. Apparently each family in our neighborhood had a different name for him. The people across the street called him “Freddy,” for “Freddy the Freeloader.” We all set food out for Bow Wow and wherever he happened to be when the sun set was the porch he would stay on for the night.

Tangerine was a Golden Retriever and I adored her. She was terribly overweight but a wonderful soul. When Cracker (the Siamese cat) had kittens, she would put them between Tangerine’s front paws, and they would all stay within both of their reach. When she passed, I got an Irish setter, Brandy, who unfortunately died of a rare blood condition.

My parents, myself, and Brandy.

My last dog, Kahlua, was a chocolate Labrador Retriever. I had cared for Kahlua’s mother when I was in college and was so anxious to find a chocolate female of my own. When she had a litter, I was hopeful one would be a female and I could bring her home. Out of a litter of 11 puppies, there were 6 yellow and 5 chocolate labs, but only one female. She was destined to be mine.

Kahlua was a great dog. When you hear that dogs take on their owner’s personalities, it was definitely true for Ms. Kahlua. She was fiercely loyal and very high strung.

At the end of the night she would fall dead asleep, but instantly be up again raring to go a mile a minute. During my divorce, I am certain I would not have seen my way through had it not been for her constant companionship. Well, her and a good therapist!

When Kahlua’s back legs finally gave out – something common in Labradors, – I knew it was time. She was in terrible pain, and I couldn’t bear to watch her struggle anymore. That decision still goes down as one of the hardest things I ever did. Her ashes are buried at my parents’ house next to Bow Wow, Tangerine, and Brandy. 

Once she was gone, I could never bring myself to get another. The pain was just too hard.

I am not sure what that says about me – that for as much joy each pet has brought me I can’t see myself owning another. With my schedule now, I can rationalize that I am out sometimes six nights a week for work, and it honestly wouldn’t be fair to them to be home alone most of the time. I often wondered whether it says more that as much as I loved them, I wasn’t willing to risk that loss again.

I know we have a lot of animal lovers out there. I’d love it if you would share your pet story in the comments below. 

8 comments:

Nick Rizzo said...

I never had any pets until I met my now wife a little over 2 years ago. She had 3 cats at the time; Dusty (18), Twizzy (8), and Antonio (3). At first, I had no idea what to do with a cat and didn't want to touch them or be around them. Lets just say that has changed greatly since then! It was sad when Dusty (18 years old!) passed away about a year later, even though I had only known that cat for a short time. Sure enough, about a month later, my father in law, who works for Union County parks and rec, found a newborn kitten in the forrest by Echo lake, very close to CSH Mountainside. He gave her to my wife and I. We named her Echo. Taking care of a kitten that young was not easy at first. She was tiny and weak when we first got her, but sure enough after a few days and weeks of food and care, she began growing very quickly! She'll be a year old in July and has the nickname of "little monkey" because she climbs anything and everything. I've already had to retrieve her from a small tree in our back yard twice! Twizzy and Antonio had a tough time adjusting to a kitten being around at first, but now Echo and Antonio are best buds! Twizzy and Echo aren't quite best buds, but they get along much better than they did at first!

Janelle said...

As a Rottweiler owner, I have very strong feelings towards abolishing animal cruelty and putting an end to negative stereotypes. They are the most loving and loyal dogs.

Our first Rottie was sweet, gentle, and irreplaceable. I was angry for years when she passed because it was well before her time. It took me a long time to be okay with my family getting a second one, to which now, my whole world is complete because of Bruno.

I could write a novel about how he has touched me and impacted my life.. Jumping on the counter, eating raw chop meat whole right out of the plastic wrap, barking at ducks in the lagoon and motorcycles on car rides, playing with plastic water bottles.. 100 pounds of pure joy. His head is huge, but his heart even bigger.

Melissa Marinello said...

When I got married my husband and I agreed to wait until Christmas to get a puppy. That would be our present to each other. I lasted 2 weeks without having a dog in the house, and we went to get one Thanksgiving weekend 2006. We got a boston terrier bull dog mix, and she is the best dog I could have asked for. Her name is Roxie. She is WONDERFUL with my two little boys who love to hug and kiss her. Anytime I am having a crazy or stressful day she is able to calm me just by sitting in my lap for a snuggle. She really is a part of our family. I cant picture my house without her.

Jill said...

I have always had pets. Growing up I went through fish, birds, hamsters, a rabbit, an iguana,a few cats and they were always very special to me I love animals. However my first dog did not come until I was 12 and he was a light brown cocker spaniel named Tabu. When I was 13 we moved in with my grandparents and Tabu drove my grandmother nuts. In and out of the house all day, shedding, always under her feet(I think she secretly liked him but did not want to admit it.) She used to complain about him every day and tell me when I grew up and had my own house I could have as many dogs as I wanted and she hoped they destroyed my house too lol! (Poor Tabu was so good never destroyed a thing) Much to my grandmother's dismay he lived to be 18 years old! My dad and I had to go have him put down right after I got married it was one of the worst things ever. Once I was married my husband came home with a puppy yellow lab his name is Apollo and he is about to turn 12 and is really starting to show his age it is very sad. A year after we got Apollo I fell in love with a Ruby colored King Charles Spaniel and I brought her home my LuLu is now 11. Things were wonderful with them. My dad passed away 2 1/2 years ago after an unexpected illness and in his will he left me his 2 dogs a cocker spaniel named Bingo who is 11 and a Basset Hound named Buster who is 10 and is a real handful. With 2 kids and 2 dogs already we knew it would be hectic and my husband was not happy but it was my dad's wish and both of them are older so giving them away was really not an option. So we now have given our tv room to the dogs (they do not have free roam of the house that would be crazy) and my girls enjoy them very much. They are all seniors and we know they will not be around for much longer which is going to be a disaster but we will take it as it comes. I just keep thinking of my grandmother high fiving my dad in heaven saying thanks we showed her. Have all the dogs you want!!!!

Janice Kelly said...

Pets have been an incredibly special part of my life. I've had cats, dogs, fish, turtles, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits and ducks. My favorite pets were the dogs (Henry, Mandy and Kato) and the cats (Sugar, Spice, Runt, Buck, Lint, Katie and Hubble). I could tell endless stories for all of them but I'll only focus on my most recent pets for fear of not getting any work done today. I adopted Katie and Hubble (named after Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand's characters in my favorite movie - The Way We Were) as kittens 18 years ago. Katie passed away two years ago but Hubble is still with me. He's an orange cat that just gets me. He knows when I'm down and need extra cuddles and follows me around the house like a dog. He's lived with me in southern CA, NYC and NJ and has adjusted through the changes of marriage and children. He is incredibly special to me and I can't think of life without him. Pets are just full of love!

Amy M said...

I have always had a pet and don't know what I would do without one. We have an orange tabby, Pumpkin, that 'rules the roost'. When we lived in NYC, we found an old pit bull hobbling on the side of the road...to make a long story short, he has had 4 AMAZING years with us - his back legs are also weak, but he still gets around. Loves to swim, plays, goes to therapeutic swimming and PT, and LOVES to vacation at the lake in Wisconsin.

Theresa Defosse said...

I have the cutest kitten in the world right now. Katiana is 11 months old, and I have had her for 8 months. I was able to leash train her and it is so nice to be able to take her outside on walks. When we are out walking, people tell me how adorable she is, and I just agree totally. (For years, I refused to get more than one cat, because I didn't want to be the "crazy cat lady" of the neighborhood. But, now, walking Katiana on her leash, I am definitely the crazy cat lady.)

Missy McCulley said...

I love all of this. But my absolute favorite thing right now is picturing Theresa walking her cat. Theresa, we just love you.

(Also, I have a 5 year old dog, a Havanese named Holiday. She brings a lot of happiness to our home with that waggy playful tail and consistent optimism that some day we will fold and give her people food. . . )