Thursday, April 9, 2015

Worrying solves nothing

I work very hard at not worrying about things I can’t control, and yet I still have more sleepless nights than not. After a night full of watching the clock, I received this e-mail from Nancy Panarese, the parent of one of our patients – Christian Panarese. It was the perfect reminder to me, that everyone  can be taught a lesson from sources where it is  least  expected

Hi Amy-
I hope all is well. Again I find myself e-mailing you about Christian. He is a sophomore, and yesterday his class read an article in the paper about worry and how people worry about everything from what clothes to wear for the day to Ebola and world war. When Christian was asked what he worries about he said, “Well, I only have half a brain so I am too busy living my life and enjoying my life to worry about other things that might or could happen. I take every day as it comes and I am happy every day.”

As usual, the class and teacher were silent. I found this all out because the teacher e-mailed me the conversation that happened in class. Our children are so wise. They never stress about the little things. Thanks for listening to me brag again.

- Nancy Panarese


Powerful, right? Have you been taught lessons from a place you least expected it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any who knows Christian and Nancy knows that are such advocates of Children's Specialized Hospital. He is very bright and can teach us a few things about the meaning of "no worries." In an odd way I look up to my young 9-year-old cousin, I can never get my youth back but my hope for her, for all our kids, is that they can just be kids. Worry free and present in their youth.

Anonymous said...

I can go back as far as maybe 10 yrs old. My grandmother would constantly hum a tune. Only hum, but when she was upset, she would sing it out loud, very loud. Que Sera Sera (Whatever will be will be). Well lets just say, I hum and sing the same song all the time!
P.S. I was about 30 yrs old when I learned the words and the English version of the title. :)

Anonymous said...

Completely agree. Those little reminders are so powerful. Live your life to the fullest and never worry about what may happen...worrying solves nothing is a great title!

Pat O'Hanlon said...

Amy thanks so much for sharing! I love Nancy and Christian stories! As parents of special needs children we often share all the hard things we go through. There are some perks! I'm not talking about Handicapp Parking, or preferential treatment at Disney but the opportunity we have everyday to interact with and care for the most loving and giving individuals God ever created. Last night my son Kenny had an appointment with his primary care doctor. He recently gained over 40 pounds while he was taking Depakote. The doctor began to talk to Kenny about dieting and when he finished Kenny started singing in his CP voice "I'm all about the Base" "Bringing Booty Back". It took him awhile to sing the whole thing! It was so funny! He helped the doc lighten up a bit and he is going to try weight watchers online. With all Kenny deals with he's always got a positive attitude and he's fun!! I call him the come back kid. Every time he goes through something he always comes back new and improved! I learn from him everyday!

Anonymous said...

Very easy for a child to say when they have parents to take care of everything for them. Not easy for a single person fighting the cancer (or any sickness) war for the second time. There is much thoughts to worry about.
Although I DO agree with Christian and all 3 statements above 100% being positive all around is still very very differcult.
Thank you for the Que Sera Sera, very uplifting. :)

Anonymous said...

TO Anonymous @ 10:53 AM.
Sometimes positive isn't easy for us grown folks. So we have to find a partner(a friend, pet, a song maybe even a movie)to help us along everyday. The easiest might be to find a good movie. Try Grown ups 2, very, very funny. You can get it on Netflix or any Redbox. Or find Que Sera Sera on ITunes.
Please try to find something that is YOUR it.. Your in my prayers..

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much to the person who responded so kindly to the person who is having a tough time finding positivity in a dark time.

I really appreciated your response and it was a good reminder to me to be gentle with others who are having a tough time seeing the bright spots when things are difficult.

Generally, working here really gives me perspective on what is good about my life, and helps me simplify things even when my own personal situations feel overwhelming.

But, that doesn't mean the things that are hard go away.

On another note, Christian and Nancy have really made a difference for me personally and given me perspective and encouragement to rise to the challenge. I'm so glad they are part of this organization.

Anonymous said...

When I was in my darkest time, I found comfort in the quote "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." I appreciated any little thing, like a person saying hi or smiling, and I held onto that little positive thing until the next positive thing came along. Life was totally dark for me, but the little things kept me going for years as I did the medical work to get better.
As far as worry in the middle of the night, I always find comfort in the Serenity Prayer - the serentity to accept the things I cannot change. I figured out that at 2 am, there is usually nothing I can change -- thus I am able to go back to sleep.