Pattie
Foley (VP, Outpatient Services) celebrated her 25th year as a Children’s Specialized
Hospital employee this year. She loved working here so much as a student that
she never left! And we are thankful for that.
![]() |
| Pattie Foley (back center) working with a patient in 2000. |
My father
also worked at the same place for a long time—45 years to be exact. Like
Pattie, he had many different jobs within the organization, but neither he nor
Pattie have any experience working in another organization other than the one
they know.
There may
be many of you who are in this same boat. After all, we recognized 24 employees
at the Employee Recognition Dinner last month who have been with us for 20 to
35 years!
Much to my
Father's dismay, I have worked in a number of organizations. He thinks it means
I can't keep a job, and maybe he's right. But I also think it’s helped me to learn more about different organizational
cultures. It’s because of those different experiences that I’ve been able to
truly appreciate working here.
Today I
want to share the things that I see at Children's Specialized that allow me to
fully endorse working here – and not just because of my position.
First and
foremost, it's about the mission.
There is a special thing that drives someone to work for children with special
needs. People are hopeful and have an inner strength that says "I can
overcome anything that comes my way and help others do the same."
It’s fortitude;
a sense of resilience. Whether you are a clinician or supporting
others who deliver care, every employee that works at Children’s
Specialized has this special trait. I know your stories and I know you have a
fight in your belly to help others.
Second, it
is about the people. You all rally
for each other in ways that stop traffic. I have seen tragedy, such as loss of a child, spouse, parent. Through every unexpected tragedy, you are all there for each other.
You are present in every meaning of the word.
People
opened their homes after Hurricane
Sandy so their colleagues would be able to have a home-cooked meal, and even started a Children’s
Specialized Hospital Crisis Fund and collected/donated TOP time without a
moment of disagreement because you wanted to make sure your colleagues could
access additional days, and funds, when they were in desperate need.
Through a
number of events and activities you raise money for the hospital in such a
fierce way and you give to our kids when no one is looking. Your hearts and
souls are tremendous gifts.
Which leads
me to my last point: there is nothing you won’t do for our kids. Cases big and small, you stretch to fit them all in. You
extend yourself to get every child the resources they need, even if you don't
know the path right off the bat. You celebrate their joys and their losses as
if they were your own.
Every one
of you sacrifices freely and selflessly to assist in any and all ways. I have
seen so many acts of selflessness with our families that I can't even begin to
detail them all here.
You know
I’m tearing up at this point, right?
Here is
what I do know for sure – when you become an employee at Children’s Specialized
Hospital, you become a part of a family. The Children’s Specialized Family and
a part of the families that we serve. That comes with real love and real
appreciation for every role you play and every task you do. Don't ever take
that for granted.
After
working in a number of organizations and environments, it’s working at
Children’s Specialized that allows me to continue to say it is an honor to work
with this amazing staff and patients and families we serve. If asked about our
hospital, without hesitation I would highly recommend working here and experiencing
the miracles, the love, the ups and the downs that we do.
And when
asked, I hope your answer will be the same

3 comments:
WoW! that picture brought back many great memories for me, i am grateful for having the experience to learn from Pattie and Annie, they provided such a solid clinical foundation for us to grow from! Thankyou! Congratulations Pattie!
Well said Amy. That picture reminds me of when i shared patients with Pattie while working at another facility. Having left the organization to pursue further education and returning I have seen other organizations as well. I am in awe every day with what i see and hear we do for our patients and families. These things may occur at other places but what makes CSH so extraordinary is what i feel - that sense of pride in knowing that those who surround me have such big hearts and give so much of themselves to make a better world for our patients and families. That level of compassion and giving is a true CSH family trait.
When I was looking for a special needs school for my son, I always asked about longevity of the staff. It really says something about an organization when a large number of staff stay for so long. I started with Children's back in 1990. And although I have left at different times over the past 25 years for personal and professional reasons, I seem to always come back! It's something about what we do and how we do it here that sets us apart from anywhere else I have been. It really is an honor to work with people who give so much of themselves and who have a genuine passion for what they do.
Post a Comment