Tuesday, December 22, 2015

‘Tis the season for getting what you want

It is always interesting to me to see what “THE” gift of the season will be. I have overheard people basically negotiating their first born for one of those hoverboards. One set of parents gave their kids one for Hanukkah and already returned it after their son broke his wrists — 15 minutes after getting it!

Every one of my friends who has a child that is 10 years or under is asking for their own iPhone. Can you believe that?! The Hess truck craze was hot for a while, and they are still selling (and donating) those trucks like crazy. 

And I bet many of you remember the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls, and anything Star Wars has continued to be a big hit.

The only thing I really remember coveting as a child for Christmas was this doll. Isn’t she beautiful? 
Of course that was 46 years ago, but when I found this photo on google, she is just as beautiful as I recall her to be!  

So, I wanted to know, what was your most coveted gift as a child for the holidays?

Happy Holidays everyone!

15 comments:

Adrienne said...

I had that doll. Madame Alexander. White dress and all. Wow. Forgot all about her. I don't think there was anything as a child that I REALLY wanted. Well, for some reason I wanted a washing machine to wash my doll's clothes. Somehow I got a mini washing machine (battery operated) no water... but spun around. I thought it was so cool. And now I will show my age. I really LOVED my Teddy Rumpkin... just sayin'.

Janelle said...

For years and years and years, I would always ask for a Rottweiler puppy! :)

Taaliba Warden said...

Mine was the Cabbage Patch Doll, and now that I have my own daughter guess what she is getting for Christmas!

Jenn T. said...

I remember wanting a diva star doll. My mom told me she had to look for it everywhere!

Roseann said...

Hands down, Shoppin' Cheryl. She had a button in her back that made her arm reach up. Her hand had a magnet in it, which attached to magnetic price tags that were placed on cute little tiny groceries. Miniature cans of Del Monte green beans, a little carton of eggs, all just like the real thing. I told everyone I knew that I wanted that doll, and I shouldn't have been surprised that I ended up with 2. I hope my parents donated the other one.
http://www.angelfire.com/art/dollmemories/shoppingsheryl.html

Dee Sands said...

Well I had two things that I wanted, easy bake oven and the baby alive doll. The toy trend as changed a lot. What happened to just wanting a bike to ride, dolls to play with or a football to throw around to interact with other kids.

Anonymous said...

I am showing my age here, but I loved my Chatty Cathy doll. I pulled a string in her neck, and she could say seven different sentences. That was revolutionary for that time!

Debbie said...

Oh what great memories..... my Gold Shwinn bicycle!! In my 10yr old mind it took me all over the world, even though I was only one street over from my home. :)

Anonymous said...

I loved my Madame Alexander doll. She had a beautiful tan suede-like cape, trimmed in chestnut fur and brown leather boots.
My most memorable gift is the dollhouse my father made for me. One of 3 girls, he made 3 doll houses! I decorated it, wallpapered, tiled floors, hung pictures and made all kinds of little accessories for it. I got it from my parents house a few years ago when they moved... it looks like my grown up girl house!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

When I was very little it was the Mrs. Beasley doll! Then came baby alive....

Debbie said...

Oh the memories I have with my Gold colored bicycle!! For my 10yr old mind it would take me all over the world, even though it was just around the block from my home in Bensonhurst Brooklyn. I would be out all afternoon with friends or cousins playing all kinds of Imagination adventures. My bicycle at times was a boat, car, truck, plane etc. what ever it took to get me to China, Africa, Italy, even to my Nonna's on 18th avenue. You see if I or friends went home before dinner then we had to stay in no more outside playing. So, if I was a little hungry or thirsty I'd go see my Nonna, she always had something cooking on the stove or she'd give me money to go buy fruit from the corner grocery stands. Great memories with my Gold colored bicycle!!

Missy said...

A care bear,"baby hugs." It was a pink baby version of a carebear with a diaper and a heart and a star on its belly. There's actually home video where mother calls down from a window (she's on the phone with my grandmother), and I explain the toy in detail. I was about 6 years old.

Anonymous said...

I loved my cassette tape player with the attached microphone!

Theresa said...

I asked for the Baby Alive every year for at least 5 or 6 years. It actually pooped and peed. I wanted it so much, but my mom hated the idea that it pooped, so I never got it.
My parents had a great trick at Christmas. Any presents that were returned after Christmas funded a date night for my parents. I got a record player 3 Christmases in a row. Finally, the 3rd year, I got to keep it. I never remembered not getting to keep the gifts, since I was a little kid and after the excitement of Christmas morning, I had other things to play with. As we grew up, we all joked about it, and Mom and Dad would get really excited if we said we didn't like something or that something didn't fit.