Thursday, February 11, 2016

RWJ/Barnabas – Update

We haven’t talked about the RWJ/Barnabas merger since early in December, and I know many of you have been wondering why we haven’t shared anything else.  In short – we do not have any new news to share.  But as we all know, it’s important to keep the lines of communication open even if there isn’t any breaking news.  But we have had some rumors.  

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – I’d rather deal with rumors head on than to ignore them and let more speculation stew. If you missed our last post, click here to see some of your questions answered. Thank you to everyone who posted well wishes to both Warren and me in our upcoming new roles. 

Question: When is this going to happen?
The timing is dependent on when the Attorney General of New Jersey approves the merger. We don’t know the exact answer to this one yet, but expect it to happen sometime in the Spring. All three health systems and our board continue to meet and discuss strategic leadership changes and once things are finalized we’ll of course share with everyone. 

As you can see there’s really not much to report yet! These things take time, and the last thing we want to do is share something that isn’t final, or approved, and risk the chance of having to tell you it’s changed!

I’ve told you once, twice, and I’ll tell you every day until I leave – you are in great hands with Warren as your new president & CEO. We have worked together for many years. And I know that he will continue to lead our employees, our patients, and our families to make even greater strides and lead to even more success. 

Ok, I know you have more questions but haven’t shared them yet. So, what else do you want to know?

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I have read the letters at the entrance hall that we share with RWJ regarding the hearings about the merger.
What could come up at the hearings? What are they actually about? Is it to address concerns of a monopoly? The scheduled hearings are so short (1 or 2 hours, if I remember correctly) that I can't imagine much can be accomplished, but I know the merger is dependent upon the results of the hearings, so they must be more exciting than I am imagining.
Thanks for the updates. I do like to know what is happening, even when it is not much. Theresa

Anonymous said...

I know that the nurses at both RWJ and Barnabas are unionized. Will that impact us at all?

Anonymous said...

Besides union for nurses since RWJ has unions, will merger affect our pay scale. RWJ is significantly higher than CSH. Will we see the benefit of that as nurses? They also have different staffing parameters than CSH and they post their staffing requirements on each unit. Will that affect us? From a nurse's perspective, it seems like there could be great benefits for us with a merger if we are going to be eligible.
Thank you!

Amy Mansue said...

Re: Public meetings
The public meetings are really a technicality. They are required by law and not many people attend, nor do we anticipate people attending! You can spend your time as you wish, but you may want to skip this one.

Re: Union status and pay scale
Robert Wood Johnson has been our parent for 20 years and counting. We have been on the campus with them for 10. Nothing changed in that time and nothing will change with this merger. We provide such unique care, and our operations are going to remain separate at this time.